"They no longer attend meetings"

by truthseeker 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

Truthseeker (love that name!)

I am sure all the above comments are most helpfull to you,as they are to me. I am in a similar position to you with family "in"

My Bro.in Law (Elder.Serv.OS in what is now next congo)phoned me some weeks ago to confirm that we no longer went to meetings,what was interesting was that to him this must have been done out of "love",but he proceeded to use emotional blackmail e.g "Your Father must be spinning in his grave" and personal attack questions.

I expect you will experience something similar,he was really fishing for some way to pin Apostasy on me

I would advise you to post here again if any definite approaches are made,as I did,thus preparing yourself to speak in a way that gives them no room to sling you out.

Good luck,and a Happy New Year to you both,

Love

Wobble

• Gill
    Gill

Yes, we received that mag and promptly burned it with other rubbish. (Always brings a smile to my face, burning WTs and Awakes!)

However, should they be foolish enough to turn up and attempt to 'encourage' us to return, they may well be 'encouraged' to leave post haste!

You can reach a point where you do not want to waste another breath on such sad people.

Why go back to 'hell' when you are now in 'heaven'?

• willyloman
    willyloman

One of my favorite topics. The dubs' lack of genuine love (i.e., caring about people on a personal level) really shows when you stop attending meetings. The shepherd who leaves the 99 in search of the 1 is one of those scriptures in the dub playbook that is often cited but seldom (if ever) heard. The dubs have a scriptural blind spot when it comes to many simple Bible teachings ("inconvenient truths"), and this is one.

Kudos to the posters who refuse to be one of those people who leave but continue to show up at the memorial year after year, subjecting themselves to the tongue cluckings and silent scorn of the die hard dubs. Remember: To leave the JWs on grounds of conscience is to occupy the moral high ground and from that position, you cannot be looked down upon.

If you found the courage to leave because of the hypocrisy, corruption, lies, or just because you instinctively knew something was very wrong, then you are the truly "spiritual" one. Spirituality is not measured by irrelevant meeting attendance or meaningless numbers recorded on a monthly time slip.

• hubert
    hubert
    Financial problems or increased family responsibilities may have caused them to slip into spiritual inactivity. They may feel a need for relief, but you might point out that isola­tion is not the answer. (Read Proverbs 18:1.) You might tactfully ask them: "Are you hap­pier since you stopped attending meetings? Is your family life better? Is the joy of Jeho­vah still your stronghold?" -Neh. 8:10.

Hmmmm.....I don't see anything in here that says to help them with their financial problems with money or supplying them with food or household goods.

Must be because the W.T. doesn't want to lose any money that may be diverted from the W.T. instead. Lots of love here.

Hubert

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Thanks everyone for your kind and insightful comments.

We were not ready to tell family who are still in that we had quit going to meetings.

No one gives a damn about you when you completely stop going. Even when I was very irregular at meeting attendance, no one really said anything helpful but they were quit to make off hand remarks.

I think for married brothers who are fading they have the additional stigma of being seen as a "failed spiritual head".

I will keep you posted if anything else happens.

In the past six months we have been aware of a few who have stopped going to the congregation for various reasons.

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN
    Haven't been to a "memorial" for 8 years because we decided no meetings meant no meetings. I didn't want to become one of those people who only came for the memorial for the last 30 years.

This brings up an issue I feel passionately about and think often gets missed by those who drop in and out of JW meetings and Memorial services through the years.

In the WT world of rigidly-conditioned thought and perception, when a JW stops regularly attending weekly meetings and assemblies, but continues to show up at the Memorial (or randomly at other meetings or assemblies), s/he is merely dismissed as "spiritually weak" or "stumbled," as having "fallen away," "tired out," "lost his/her joy," or some other equally convenient, denigrating JW category that allows the labeler to feel superior.

OTOH, when a JW, particularly one considered a "pillar," abruptly stops attending all meetings and assemblies, including Circuit Assemblies, District Conventions, CO/DO visits, the occasional Special Talkand the Memorial, the clear message is much more likely to be conveyed that s/he has consciously, proactively decided to no longer be associated with the organization in any way---a tacit proclamation of one's personal choice to dissociate which, as we all well know, never fails to rock JW world.

This is a critically important distinction for me. It is the precise reason I have attended not a single JW meeting of any kind in any location, and have set foot in a Kingdom Hall only three times in eight years---one wedding, two funerals. The three occasions caused quite the stir and satisfactorily confirmed for me that my absence and inactivity were being interpreted as I intended and not being mis-characterized.

I understand that each of us has a different set of circumstances that must be taken into consideration when navigating post-JW life. For those who can and wish to make an emphatic point, though, it is my opinion that a squeaky clean break is clearest and most effective.

AMNESIAN
    7/1972---2/2001

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I guess u are just something to gossip about for now. Unless family decides to be more proactive and get the elders involved. I never worry about that anymore

• OBVES
    OBVES

The arrangement is that most churches are unaccaptable to God Yahweh .Harold Camping of the Family Radio Inc. who also predicts like me the end of the world ( understood differently ) in 2011 AD claims people must leave their churches to be saved nowadays .While I am making an exception to Jehovah's Witnesses.Check Jehovah's Witness Online forum with subforum on Conspiracy Theory and End of Times Predictions , Jesus 2.0 .

If you are a Jehovah's Witness I think you should stay in though I am an independent christian with much different views .I am siding nevertheless with Jehovah's Witnesses . I am using Luke 9.49-50 to claim my independent status .I don't belong to any church organization on earth and all exept of Jehovahs Witness organization will be terminated in 2011 AD if my prediction comes true .

Read my latest post on alt.bible ( google group ) how I am sure the end will come in 2011 AD .

And also how some dates and calculations point to the year 2011 AD very clearly .You should read some of my other posts to learn more on the end timetable .

Any Bible must have at least 66 same books .

1879 AD + 66 years for God's Word the Bible + 66 years again = 2011 AD.

The date 1879 AD is related to the original publication of the Watchtower magazine of the International Bible Students.It was somewhat a different title ,yet it was the beginning of the Watchtower magazine.

• avishai
    avishai

Hey, OBVES. Shut up.

• OBVES
    OBVES

To be better immersed in the endtime predictions go to my Jehovah's Witness Online forum to its subforum :
    : " Conspiracy , End of Times Predictions , Jesus 2.0 " and learn much more .

Harold Camping rejects all churches and tells people who want to be saved to leave their churches behind while I am making one exception to Jehovah's Witness organization .My calculations point to making such an exception.
    Me and Harold Camping predict the year 2011 AD as the end of the world but we speak about two different ends of the world .
    I am speaking the evil oppressive world order will be terminated by God Yahweh while Harold Camping speaks about a total destruction of the universe on October ,21,2011 AD.
    I heard him saying today on his Open Forum program he is absolutely sure as to the date 2011 AD.100% sure the end of the world will take place.
    On May ,21 , 2011 AD the saved will be raptured into heaven and all others left will suffer a hell on earth for the period up to 153 days .
    May ,21 - October ,21 ,2011 AD .. 153 days .
    Get his booklet for free " We Are Almost There " by calling 1-800-543-1495 .
    Also get " The End of the Church Age and After ".

You will never win your argument with empty words instead of using the Bible !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit