How to (a) write a public talk and (b) write an Awake! article

by JimmyPage 15 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Every public talk ever given goes like this...

Pick a subject, whether it's "God's Government or Man's?" or whatever...

Open by talking about how bad world conditions are,

Go on about how bad morals today are,

Run down Christendom and the governments for a while,

Then be sure and brag on the borganization,

Read some scriptures about how God's kingdom is the answer, and finally...

Talk about how important it is to study, get dunked, and preach because the end is near.

Bang. That's every public talk you will ever hear. Now you don't have to drag your butt out of bed on Sunday.

How to write an Awake! article?

Very similar. Pick a timely subject. Maybe it's terrorism. Maybe it's global warming.

Spew out a bunch of quotes and stats on the subject.

Wrap it up with some scriptures about how God's kingdom is the answer, and then...

Talk about how important it is to study, get dunked, and preach because the end is near.

Bang. That's every Awake! article you will ever read. Now you have a college education.

• Newborn
    Newborn

Wow thanks Jimmy. I've never went to college and now I don't have to.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Yeah, just turn in your bound volumes and get your "CED"!

• Mary
    Mary

You should put that on a christmas card Jimmy and send a copy to Uncle Teddie.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

They have been doing that since the 60's that I know of.

Probably even before that.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Yep, the format sounds familiar.

Additionally, when I was school overseer I used to instruct the brothers to; "tell them what you are going to say (the introduction), tell them (the body) and tell them again (the conclusion)".

I always put a lot of time into my public talks but if push came to shove I could get up a deliver a Public Talk from the outline. There's not a lot to them mostly.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Maybe not college credit, but at least 3 continuing education credits!

• sacolton
    sacolton

Use key phrases, like ...

"Does it not warm your heart ..."

"It is only logical ..."

"It is only reasonable ..."

"Time is running out ..."

Every article/talk has them.

• rekless
    rekless

I gave many of those formularistic talks, and then I started listening, really listening to the talks, and I something smacked me upside my head, and I told my wife when we got home, "Good god honey we have been coming to meeting for over thirty years and it is the same hum-drum stuff. I've learned nothing new." I was becoming brain dead, and I'm thankful that after my wife died, my two sons and a daughter rejected the religion and came with me, into a world where one can have the freedom to think and express those thoughts.

• halcyon
    halcyon

I used to write my son's talks. I used exactly that formula. Threw in a couple inspiring (read: heavy handed) "we should"s and "wouldn't we want to"s at the end, and got the kid an ovation SEVEN times!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit