Did Jesus every mention or say anything about Armageddon?

by VM44 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• VM44
    VM44

What is in the book of Revelation doesn't count!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Absolutely nothing. All he mentioned was the things that would soon happen to Jerusalem, and that has already happened. Jesus did not mention anything about the end of the world, either.

Also, Jesus did not mention that anyone had to join an organization or have a particular set of beliefs, either. In fact, he was trying to free people from a rigid set of beliefs--and, to the extent that people listened, they would have also become God-like themselves and free from external authority.

(As for the signs of the end, that was a parable. That was primarily referring to the destruction of Jerusalem. It could also refer to the death of the individual, and the choices are to be able to proudly look back at what you did or to regret wasting your life.)

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Revelation doesn't count?

Are you suspecting that Revelation is perhaps a deliberately contrived piece of work, which, although attributed to John of Patmos, could have been written long after his death by someone else?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

The JWS mention it a lot for the reason they want to keep the people frighten, captivated and believing with the intension to sifting money out of their pockets.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I wasn't aware that Jesus wrote anything at all. Seems to me at best, all I see is an artist's version of a translation of a of a third party opinion of hearsay.

It's a great story with good lessons and I enjoyed reading it, but I might not be ready to make too many more irreversible living decisions based on works of art, superstition, tradition, or subjective assumptions.

Been there, done that. It didn't work out well.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Not that I'm aware of. He simply said "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." He wasn't a very good JW, by current JW standards. According to the Watchtower, he was God's greatest Witness. You would think he would at least mention Armageddon in every sentence in order to instill that fear the way the Watchtower does. Or at least tell all the people who listened to his Sermon on the Mount that unless they're baptized and active inside God's Organization, that Jehovah wouldn't spare them.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"Did Jesus every mention or say anything about Armageddon?"..........Not to me..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• bob1999
    bob1999

A person can believe the entire bible was inspired by God and still ask about the quotes attributed to Jesus, no?

Peace

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Bob asks: A person can believe the entire bible was inspired by God and still ask about the quotes attributed to Jesus, no?

Quote:

“‘All scripture is given by inspiration.’ Waiving the questions of authenticity and correct translation, who wrote this? Paul. What was the scripture when he wrote? The Old Testament, the Old Testament alone. The writers of the Old Testament do not claim to be divinely inspired. This is a claim made by the later Jews and by the early Christians. Paul and the other writers of the New Testament do not claim that their writings are divine. This, too, is a claim made by others long after they were written.

“The fact that the writers of the Bible do not believe and do not assert that their books are of divine origin, that this claim was made many years after they were composed, by those who knew nothing of their origin, is of itself, in the absence of all other evidence, sufficient to demonstrate their human origin.”

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Armageddon is just one pretty obscure word in one very peculiar book, but (leaving the issue of the "historical Jesus" aside) there are many Gospel sayings implying belief in "the end of this age/world" and "Last Judgement," including the "coming of the Son of Man on the clouds of heaven" and "resurrection". That such things were meant to follow ("immediately," according to Matthew) Jerusalem's fall -- and didn't -- doesn't imply that they were fulfilled with Jerusalem's fall: they weren't. Later Christian interpretation had to either postpone them to a later time, or sine die, or sweep them under the carpet. None of those options does justice to the contextual meaning of the sayings. The only option that does, imo, is acknowledging them as a failed prophecy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit