Texas Phrases

by Jim_TX 18 Replies latest social humour

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Texas Phrases

Saying: The engine's runnin' but ain't nobody driving.
    Translation: Not overly-intelligent.

Translation: Not very generous.

Translation: All talk and no action.

Translation: We've made a brief acquaintance, but not been formally introduced.

Translation: He has a pretty high opinion of himself.

Translation: (self-explanatory).

Translation: Talks a lot.

Translation: We really could use a little rain around here.

Translation: Appearances can be deceptive.

Translation: I've been around awhile.

Translation: Not the most handsome of men.

Translation: Living in sin.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Yep, Texas is a world unto itself.

About 15 years ago they declared independence from the US and even elected their own president and other offices were filled. I have not heard about that lately, but last year when I drove through Texas they did not have any border guards or ask for my passport, so I went sliding on through.

It was very hard to find a good steak. You would think there would be one visible from the interstate, but no such luck. Finally I went driving through Odessa and found a steakhouse that was a red barn painted up with pretty (or as they say there, purty) signs. Great steak, it was worth it.

Americans do not really understand Texas. But they are grateful that is is there as a large buffer between the US and Mexico.

A Texas saying: Ten gallons of dumb in a five gallon hat.
    Translation: Very incredibly dumb.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I spent four years of my life living in East and West Texas. Had my daughter in Houston. I love Texas and its point of view.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

crud ...had some Texas photos for you but do not know how to get them up on here using Mozilla...

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Maybe this will work at least for looking up the links. Can anyone else get them to post?

Help

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

My point being is that while taking these photos, I worked around a lot of people that spoke with such phrases. I laughed the whole weekend, Pretty funny group. It was great to be a part of and seriously...it is a whole different language when working with cowboys.

• Elsewhere
  • ballistic
    ballistic

Ima gettin ready to open a can o whoopass on ya boy!!!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Nice pics Sparkplug.

I got one, but it's dirty.

" Happier than a Q***r in a d**k tree" = extremely happy

Merry Friggin Christmas Everybody!

sooner7nc

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

oops... let me see if I can reduce the size of the photo...

Texas Cowboy

This was taken in Bandera, TX. I wanted to get a photo of the horse - and afterwards, this cowboy - who owned the horse wandered up - after leaving the saloon (in the background - on the right). So I asked him if I could take HIS photo. He said, "Sure!" and posed. *click*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit