Joel Osteen on Larry KIng

by Scarred for life 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I just saw Joel Osteen on Larry King on CNN. I don't know a lot about Joel Osteen. I've never read his books or watched him on TV but I was struck with how positive he is and how upbeat and encouraging his message is. It's such a tremendous contrast to the way I was raised by my parents and the JWs. And the music in their church is so inspirational and moving, not like that canned stuff the JWs call music.

I can't help but think that i would be a different person today if I had been raised in a church like that. I think I may check out Osteen's books. I think they could be helpful to me as I continue to work toward healing from the JW abuse.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

For the time will come when people will not tolerate healthy doctrine, but with itching ears will surround themselves with teachers who cater to their people's own desires. - 2 Timothy 4:3

How long will you lie down, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep? - Proverbs 6:9

"And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light. It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works." - 2 Corinthians 11:14-15

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron - 1 Timothy 4:1-2

BA- Avoid Joel Osteen.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I like Joel too and watch him whenever I can

Josie

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Well, you have erased any doubts that I had. I know now that I will read all of his books and his wife's books. I will find out when his show is on television and watch it every week. Hell, I just might fly out to Texas and visit his church and buy his CDs to listen to in the car.

I'm ready for a positive message that makes me feel good.

I will not go back to negativiy and fear and legalism in my life. I feel sorry for you

• Confucious
    Confucious

Brother Apostate.

I love you.

More than you know.

We are BOUNDED by our time together with the Watchtower.

But I tell you...

Jehovah's people... God's People...

The True Believers need a soft hand... not a hard one.

If the WT ruled with a soft hand, and with encouragment. I believe we would all be much better off today.

Joel Osteen is encouraging.

Say what you will.

But he is inspiring.

I see you quoted scriptures... and well noted.

But other scriptures also say, "You will know a tree by it's fruit."

Are there those who tickle the ear?

Of course.

But the difference is Joel Osteen produces fruit worth eating.

He inspires - not tears down.

Confucious

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Thank you, Confucius. That was beautifully said. Do the JWs even know what encouraging and inspiring is? They've never heard of it.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I'm ready for a positive message that makes me feel good.

I will not go back to negativiy and fear and legalism in my life.

Once again, what is Joel Osteen preaching?:

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron - 1 Timothy 4:1-2

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon. - Matthew 6:24

“There exists a way that is upright before a man, but the ways of death are the end of it afterward. - Proverbs 14:12

BA- Choose life.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

LOL! As far as I can tell, Joel Osteen HAS chosen life. He chooses to live it happily and joyfully. That's what I want.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think they could be helpful to me as I continue to work toward healing from the JW abuse.

purps

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Confucious,

I know that those initially coming out of the org are, well, bewildered by the possibilties.

I have gone through those feelings, as you most likely have also.

My offspring are going through it now.

I really do appreciate your kind words, and I count you as a brother in this journey of life.

However, I do not believe, instead I hope, my input on this thread will make a hill of beans difference in the near-term.

Why?

Because we are all stubborn, and will learn the hard way.

That is what I tell my kids, my relatives, my friends, my neighbors.

I simply do what the Scriptures command and let it be from there. (Ezekiel 3:17-21)

BA- Thanks, Confucious, my bro.

PS- Edited to add: Thanks, purps, my sis!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit