Suicide

by is there help out there 18 Replies latest jw friends

• is there help out there
    is there help out there

The holidays are a time when some people get depressed and commit suicide. Has any one in there congration commited suicide and what was the reacion by the other members.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

back in the 70's a young sister in our hall had been df'd. Shortly thereafter she commited suicide. The reaction? Oh, well she won't be resurrected.

Sad thing about it, she was a very sweet kid, about 19 I believe. Very strong jw family. Long lineage . Extended aunts, uncles, cousins, grand parents. 3 cousins gone off to Bethel,great grand father partook for years.

I secretly blamed the elders, even way back then. They should not have df'd her. I knew the details of the committee, she was remorseful. Old school asshole elders is all.

NMG

• choosing life
    choosing life

I know the watchtower liked to say that suicides were highest on holidays, but it just isn't true. Google "suicide on holidays" and you'll find that studies have shown that suicides are higher during the early part of the week, but no increase on holidays of any kind.

You can trust the watchtower to misinform you whenever it suits their agenda. Holidays are bad/cause people to commit suicide.

I only knew of one person who committed suicide, because she was ill. She plainly mapped out her funeral, including who was to give the talk, who were to be the pallbearers, etc. She announced it to a lot of people, myself included, but you just don't think someone will carry it through.

I have to say that it was handled really nicely by the jws (shockingly). They said she accidently overdosed on her pills and she had a funeral at the hall with all the blessings of the elders. I still miss her.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Actually there was an article in the local paper yesterday about suicide. Actually December is one of the lower percentage rate for suicide and May was the highest. You may be on to something though about JW'S, I know of at least 2 who committed suicide in December. One on the 24th.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I've personally known 4 JW's who have committed suicide. One was an ex-CO's wife, another had been a ministerial servant, one was the teen-aged daughter of a ministerial servant, and the one that upset me the most was my cousin. He was an elder, had just finished auxiliary pioneering in the month of February--it was a bitterly cold month (maybe that had something to do with it). I've heard of several others--people I didn't know.

Bonnie

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

My dad committed suicide almost 6 years ago, as a direct result of the behavior of the congregation toward him. Reader's Digest version: He was an elder for 40 years, had a brief affair after we put Mom in a nursing home, got disfellowshipped, groveled for a year, got reinstated, got totally ignored, so he was all by himself with no social life beyond me & my husband and his grandkids, and he shot himself. I wrote a letter to the body of elders in his congregation and copied every member of that congregation for whom I had an address because I wanted my message to get out there and not be hushed up. Basically I told them what they'd done wrong and told them that they would have to answer to Jehovah for my father's death. A nice, full-bodied Greek curse upon their heads, in other words. I told them that if they wanted to atone for his death they should do their JOBS and be nice to EVERYONE in the congregation, even seeking out those who are alone and making sure they feel like part of the congregation, taking care of them socially as well as spiritually.

I wasn't expecting any answer or acknowledgement, but surprisingly I received one phone call from one of the congregation members. She told me that my letter had given her a lot to think about and that, even though she was very shy, she was going to do what I suggested and take the initiative to talk to the lonely ones and invite them out socially.

Other than that, the silence was deafening. But I'm glad I said it, put it in writing, and spread it around.

Nina

• Quandry
    Quandry

I told them that if they wanted to atone for his death they should do their JOBS and be nice to EVERYONE in the congregation, even seeking out those who are alone and making sure they feel like part of the congregation, taking care of them socially as well as spiritually.

Wow, Cruzan- Good for you!! Instead, the JWs feel it is their job to look for the "spiritually good association" and avoid those like your dad who have had troubles. I am sorry to say that I bought the JW line completely and tried to associate with the "pillars of the congregation" mostly. That meant usually other families of elders, as my husband was. Oh, I did feel for the others, and sometimes invited them to gatherings at my house, but felt that maybe I shouldn't. Looking back, I could have done so much more, and should have. Just human kindness is all some need.

• undercover
    undercover

I've known a few JWs to committ suicide, one a family member.

One of my best friends, a JW, committed suicide just a week before Xmas. I don't know if the xmas season had anything to do with his deepening depression (which he hid so well that it was a shock to everyone) or just coincidence.

Xmas is a bittersweet time for anyone who has lost a family member or close friend to death around the holiday. Xmas is supposed to be about joy and happiness and yet you have that dreadful reliving of the pain of the year that you lost someone.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Cruzan, I admire you for having the nerve to send that letter. If it helps one of them to think twice about just one person it was worth it. It's a shame that they are in this position to judge people, but have no awareness of the human condition. Elderly folks (especially men) that have had to put a mate in a nursing home and experiencing health problems of their own are in one of the highest population at risk for suicide. Could they not have just privately reproved him for this? Good lord, will these evil stories never end? Thanks for sharing.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There have been two suicides in our congregation in the past 5 years. Both sisters, both hung themselves. Very unpleasant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit