Light Without Heat

by cameo-d 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Visualize a space colony at L5 orbit, a rotating cylinder. It has a mirror collecting solar light while screening out heating infrared energy. The light is distributed throughout the habitation, and is available day and night.

My, how prophetic those prophets were.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I've always kinda wondered in a non-specific way at what point humans understood that light, heat, and energy were connected.

StAnn

• Gregor
    Gregor

According to Hebrew law, in late winter an unshorn lamb with it's winter coat was to be soaked with oil and set afire after sundown on the first sabbath after the superbowl. When the flames went out the lamb was consumed with the choice parts going to the wise men of the village and on down to the poorest who were given all the melted wool they could eat.

• oompa
    oompa

it seem to me to explain itself clearly within itself....what is the problem?......it speaks clearly enough for babes (children in wt) .........oompa

• caliber
    caliber

Firefly adults have a light-producing organ on their abdomens. The light organ is a remarkably efficient structure, producing light without losing energy through heat. Have you ever touched an incandescent light bulb after it's been on a few minutes? It's hot! If the firefly's light organ emitted comparable heat, the insect would meet a crispy end.

A firefly's bioluminescence is produced by a chemical reaction within its body. Calcium, adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the substrate luciferin, and the enzyme luciferase must all be present in the light organ. The introduction of oxygen triggers the reaction between these ingredients, resulting in light energy.

Nitric oxide is the key that opens the door to the light organ, allowing oxygen to enter and initiate the reaction. In the absence of nitric oxide, oxygen molecules bind to the mitochondria on the surface of light organ cells, and no light can be produced. When present, nitric oxide binds to the mitochondria instead, allowing the oxygen to enter the organ and generate light.

Cal

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I have not seen a fire fly in many years. I used to see millions of them as a child.

Do you think they have become extinct?

I have wondered if "love bugs" are a genetic mutation of fire flies?

• ecuador
    ecuador

I have wondered if "love bugs" are a genetic mutation of fire flies? Ha, that is funny! Actually, in some parts of the US fireflies are very plentiful in the summer, especially in the countryside.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit