Mere Christianity: logical reasoning

by Rex B13 25 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem

I, too, was planning on reading Mere Chrisitianity, but after reading the samples of C. S. Lewis drivel that Rex has posted, I'm having second thoughts about wasting my time. If Rex thinks these are good logical arguments for God/Christianity, then I don't know what to say. Perhaps there are other redeeming aspects to the books, besides the "logical" arguments? hehe

Rex, the fact that you can't find a moral code that all humans can agree on shows that your and C. S. Lewis' logic is faulty.

I was not referring to Biblical slavery in my post. I was thinking of good old American slavery. It is a fact that people not too long ago thought that slavery was fine and dandy. They did not believe that all men are equal. Today people who feel that way are harder to find. Back in ancient Rome, killing an unwanted baby by leaving it out in the elements (usually girls) was standard practice. But today, even the most staunch abortion activist would not support that type of behavior. It's a fact, there is such a thing as moral relativism. Not all cultures have and have had the same social norms and taboos.

C. S. Lewis may have been a good writer with some good ideas, but in his "logic" he was dead wrong.

rem

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain
  • D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Seeker,

Because if you beleive you came from nothing.
    Why question that god could come from nothing?

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • Seeker
    Seeker
    Because if you beleive you came from nothing.
    Why question that god could come from nothing?

Well, that gets into the origins of life itself, a different subject than evolution.

But I guess I'm still not understanding your point. If I have consciousness, and thus I exist as an entity, it doesn't say or prove anything about anyone or anything else.

Oh well, don't worry about it. Thanks for trying to elaborate. I'll respect the fact that you can believe what you wish.

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

ROFL
    Pardon my laughter at you, Sixty-Nine.
    You just pulled a quote out of context from Lewis' writings. I guess that old JW learning dies hard, eh?
    Rex

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Rex, I know you're an idiot of biblical proportions. But just so others can see it, please explain to the forum how my quote was "out of context"?

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

BTW, Sixty_Nine and Rem,
    Please don't blame little old me for keeping you from reading Lewis' works. That is a shallow and tranparent excuse for you merely doing exactly as you originally intended. You attempt to use it in order to 'shame me' into shutting up. I am not intimidated in the least.
    If our Lord was able to take the humiliation and anguish of the death on the cross then I will gladly be called a 'fool' by any who oppose Him and His word.

Hey Hillary,
    The Lord God Almighty is the only true "I Am". There are only two types of things in the multiverse: the Creator and the created!
    Thanks also to D. Wilt and Ashi for the assist.
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit