Dansk's Funeral Arrangements

by faundy 52 Replies latest jw friends

• south african beef
    south african beef

We have just arrived back in Essex from Ian's funeral.

Yes, a 460 mile round trip to a funeral for someone you have only met once seems a long way - but that is how Ian touched everybody's lives.

The service was very touching and moving - well done Mike, if you read this.

Our love goes out to Claire, Steph, Jody, Dominic and Karl - you will continue to be in our thoughts.

Best wishes to all,

Ian and Marie

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Ian and Marie --

Can you tell us a little about the funeral?

Marjorie

• bubble
    bubble

Hi Marjorie, just to tell you a little about the funeral.

The service itself was lovely. As you may or may not know, Ian really didn't have any religious beliefs, so he asked a friend of his (Mike) to say a few words. Mike was extremely emotional, but he got throught it all beautifully. He spoke about Ian's life, and his great loves, which of course were his family, his home and nature.

All of Ian's immediate family were present, his wife, all four of his children and his sister. Also many of Ian's friends were present too. Everyone was very upset, but we all felt positive and uplifted by Mike's words. At the end of the service, Mike allowed a minute's silence to allow anyone with religious beliefs to say their own personal goodbyes to Ian. Then to finish, they played a piece of music, 'Search for the Hero Inside Yourself' by M-People. Very moving.

We were glad we went, but are so sad to have had to say goodbye to Ian. He was such a lovely human being. However, he has left a little of himself behind in his four lovely children. We only have a few memories of him, but his kids and Claire have thousands, and I hope that is a comfort to them. They will all be in our thoughts over the next few weeks and months.

Marie.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Bubble, the song that you mentioned "Search for the Hero Inside Yourself' by M-People". is very beautiful. I just looked it up on Youtube and listened to it. Here is the link for it below in case anyone wants to hear it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhTi4tQIY4A

My thoughts are with Ian's family today.

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Thank you, Marie.

And thank you for posting the link to the song, Ohiocowboy.

Marjorie

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I hate saying good bye........

Snoozy.... R.I.P. Ian....

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Just home from work (I had to go straight from the service) A special memory that I have from today is that at the start of his talk, Mike said that it was Ian's kind of day (it was bright, sunny, cold, a bit of hazy cloud in the distance where it had rained in the early hours) - I looked out of the window and thought yes, he's right! I kept thinking on that, so much positive 'energy' around. After the service just as my friend and I were heading back to the car, a whole flock of geese took off from a neighbouring field and, well I can't really explain it but I got a big smile and said to my friend "Yes, it's definitely Ian's kind of day!" It was as though I could 'see' his spirit too flying free with those birds on to the next adventure of life!

Claire and all the family, I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. Peace and love surround you.

• chickpea
    chickpea

ian, marie and sad emo

your narratives of ian's farewell are appreciated

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I am glad the day went so beautifully. I hope it only adds to your precious memories of your dad and husband.

Thanks for the narratives everyone.

• Champion
    Champion

I am so sorry about your dad. I too read so many of his post when I first got here. You are blessed to have such a wonderful, loving dad. May his presence be with you and your mom and all you siblings, and friends......He will be missed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit