Are there times when it's better to say nothing?

by compound complex 26 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good Morning Friends:

It's said that upon your becoming a Jehovah's Witness someone ought to lock you up for six months (maybe longer).

Perhaps the same could be said for those of us who've learned the truth about THE TRUTH. I look for opportunities to share what I've learned here on JWD and elsewhere; however, I'm overwhelmed and shaken by what I'm learning about the Bible, the WTB&TS and religion in general. I reflect on Jesus' words 'I have many things to tell you, but you are not able to bear them at present.'

When in the company of Witness friends and family who are spouting "The Truth this" and "The Truth that," do you find that sometimes it's better just to nod and smile? It's not that I don't know the answer. I simply want to hear how you manage to keep your mouth shut.

Thanks much.

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I simply want to hear how you manage to keep your mouth shut.

Unless I'm asked a direct question, I take the position of my g'ma who lived to be 104: "I'm like the jug handle - on the outside!"

It works, dear CoCo.

Sylvia

• beksbks
    beksbks

My feelings on sharing my insight were very strong when I first left. My motto in all situations, was that I had no more right to talk them out of their belief than they had to talk me into it. So I did smile and nod.

Now, the only time I find myself faced with a JW is when they come to my door, and I now tell them how I feel.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Sylvia:

Excellent! !

Thank you.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Beks:

That's a good point about our personal rights and not trespassing sacred boundaries. Of course, while we were trained as JWs to be tactful, our goal was, nevertheless, to recruit.

Too bad JWs can't go door-to-door where I live!

Thanks!

CoCo

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I don't have any jws who will speak to me, but if I did, I think my time would be better spent on using Steven Hassan's techniques of combatting cult mind control. I would try to draw the jw out by asking them questions about their former life to help them to start thinking of who they were before they joined the cult.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Morning CoCo!!....."I'm overwhelmed and shaken by what I'm learning about the Bible, the WTB&TS and religion in general. I reflect on Jesus' words 'I have many things to tell you, but you are not able to bear them at present."..............CoCo..Thats never stopped my friend "Aguest/Shelby" from talking about the Bible and Jesus..She will tell anyone willing to listen..LOL!!..What a Character,you`ve got to love someone like that..LOL!!..The result is,she has had many good conversations with posters on this board..Myself included..I`m not a Christian but I have learned a great deal about what Shelby believes..In the process I`ve made a friend,who`s company I enjoy.....Cast your Bread upon the Waters CoCo..You just may enjoy the results............................."When in the company of Witness friends and family who are spouting "The Truth this" and "The Truth that," do you find that sometimes it's better just to nod and smile? It's not that I don't know the answer. I simply want to hear how you manage to keep your mouth shut."...........It depends..If I think I will have a hearing ear,I will say something..If I know this will turn into an angry mob,I say nothing..ThreateningLaughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Jamie:

I think my time would be better spent on using Steven Hassan's techniques of combatting cult mind control.

Maybe now's the time to get out my copy and reread it! Great advice.

I appreciate your reply.

CoCo

• rebel8
    rebel8

Better? I don't know. Techniques? Don't have any.

It's not polite to talk about religion unless you have the sort of relationship that it's mutually acceptable.

The people I'm around bring it up to count a return visit and to try to manipulate me. I won't have it.

I don't think it's a problem to set boundaries with people. If they don't respect appropriate social etiquette, then they reap what they sow.

It went something like this.

First: Ignored the warning entirely and kept directly talking about The Last Days. So I shared my knowledge about wts and its history of false prophecies.

Second: Mentioned only scriptures. I mention some verses from the bible that make no damn sense at all.

Third: Mentioned only what's going on with the congregation folks. I mentioned what's going on with the clubs I belong to and the charity I started, and how happy I am to now have real fun and do meaningful things that will leave my community a better place after I'm gone. Then I talk about how the jws don't do so, charging hurricane victims for the supposed free roofs they built, never helping others, etc.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I just regard it as Theocratic Warfare Strategy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit