Letter of Introduction

by IMHO 11 Replies latest jw friends

• IMHO
    IMHO

Does anyone know about the legalities of sending a letter when you move congregation, that in many cases contains a pack of lies about you and claiming they can't show you it as it's 'confidential'?

• Newborn
    Newborn

IMHO,

When me and my husband were considering moving, we were told that we could even see the letter before they'd send it, so that we would know what they wrote. We never did move but I believe the elder meant it.

Maybe the rules varies from congregation to congregation or it's a new rule...

/Newborn

• IMHO
    IMHO

That's interesting as I heard that the 'society' tell the BOEs NOT to show the letter citing the 'confidentiality' clause, 'between elders'

• IMHO
    IMHO

.... although they apparently should tell you if they have written anything 'derogatory', not that it seems you can do anything to change it.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

The BOE. of the cong. that is receiving the letter of introduction will have a wait and see attitude, weeks to months to determine how they should proceed with the new members coming into their cong. Basically they will watch and see how many hours that they put in the field service and how their meeting attendance is. Those will be the determining factor in how much of the introduction letter they will accept as being the full picture of what they are being told about the individual / individuals.

It always comes down to the field service and meeting attendance as a litmus test of ones spirituality.

BTW. Unknown to the rank and file is, Yes, you can read the introduction letter and contest any remarks you deem not appropriate.

Blueblades

• IMHO
    IMHO

Just about everyone I know that has asked to see it has been refused. So what's the next step if you ask and are refused.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

These letters are part of the internal organization of JW's. As such, they are protected legally, and elders are not supposed to share their contents. They can verbally inform the publishers that they are recommended in good standing. Elders, servants, and pioneers are to be told directly whether or not they will be recommended to serve in the congregation that they are moving to before they leave and before the letter is sent. If there is a conflict, it is up to the CO to send his recommendation at that point.

Elders are to inform any new congregation if the publisher is a known molester, and a copy of that letter is to be sent to the branch. The branch then sends what is basically a form letter advising the elders that the pedophile should not be used for any responsibilities, shouldn't work in FS by themselves, etc etc etc.

Elders have been taught to keep these letters as benign as possible. There is elder code, such as "obedient", "zealous", "helpful". The bad code words include "opinionated", "head strong", "slow to apply counsel", and the like. Any phrases like that clues in an elder body what kind of publisher and family they are getting, from the JW point of view.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The only way they could lie about me would be to say something good about me.

• skeptic1914
    skeptic1914

My wife and I moved about a year ago and I can count on one hand the number of meetings I have been to since. What I don't want to do is "join" any of the local congs precisely because a "letter of introduction" would be sought. The elders in my last cong knew I no longer bought 1914/1919 FDS/GB and other issues but I have to say they were pretty tolerant. If I was in other congs in this area I would have been put out with the trash a long time ago. You could say I have successfully faded and only go to the occasional mtg out of consideration for my wife.

Skeptic1914

• dkztcequ
    dkztcequ

Has anyone tried to find out what was said about them in a letter of introduction, in England and Wales, using a subject access request under section 7 of the Data Protection Act? I ask this because this total knob of a Australian in Chiang Mai is a shifty little cunt who cannot be trusted.

Or would you be disfewlloshipped if you tried?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit