Last bookstudy group this week – I think there will be great sadness in the

by eyeslice 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

They'll miss the coffee nights. It was one of the few things JWs could enjoy, and now the watchtower has taken that away too.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is part of a trend that has been going on since Slime Rutherford took control. They once celebrated Christmas and birthdays. Then the scumbag decided that, if people went out in field circus on Christmas Day, everyone would be home. That killed Christmas in 1927. And the birthdays went sometime in the early 1950s.

Now, there were still get-togethers of various types. The witlesses had various events sponsored by the congregations, though they were not part of the official theocraptic program and hence did not require formal dressup. These included skating parties, picnics, and the like. Which started to be taken away with the early 1980s, until the late 1990s the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger finally took it all away. No more congregation gatherings outside the boasting sessions or field circus.

What was left was the book study. Now, that was still a dress-up event (a waste). But it was a bit more relaxed than going to the Kingdumb Hell, and was now the high spot in people's lives. So, someone got the bright idea that, since that was the high spot, to extract it. They used the high gas prices as the excuse (yet, they didn't cut back on field circus for high gas prices). So, the book study has to go.

With that gone, I wonder what the next high spot is going to be. If the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger can't level it with rules, they will take it away. I would venture a guess that they are going to clamp down on those coffee breaks out in field circus, since that is now going to be the high spot.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I know some local dubs who held a farewell party after their group last Thursday, the last one being on Christmas day and few will be expected to it.

Apparently nostalgia ruled over the tea and vol au vents , some saying openly that they thought the Society wrong about this . It is the end of a practice that goes all the way back to the Bible Students and C T R . If I were a dub I would be sad, as it is, it means that my wife will only have to go out one night a week, I do not think that she will be doing extra Bible Study.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I can't imagine any JW, with the exception of the elderly who attends the morning study, being sad over this, but I guess that is possible.

Me, I would have been glad to have one less night to fool with. Do you reckon many are faking sadness, but instead are actually relieved to have a little more free time?

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Also, I think this mover will lead to increasing control and centralization. The groups allowed, to certain degree, the brothers and sisters to expression personal opinions and raise genuine questions. The meeting now are so scripted that getting the audience to answer 'in their own words' is a farce - they may as well print the answers for the brothers and sisters to read out.

Also, as someone who conducted a group study continuously for over 30 years (I started at 19!) I know that many would answer up at the group and would read a scripture who would be far too shy and reserved to do so at the hall.

So, I get back to my point - this is all about control.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I also think it is about control. The internet has taken a lot of their power to control though away from them. Tis is a way take some of that control back. However I'm not sure that giving witnesses another free night is the best way to do it. I though having them at a meeting taking in Watchtower Indoctrination about every second day was a pretty good method of control. Then again maybe they are hoping to keep membership from slipping by giving them a break. I don't think witnesses are as gung ho as they used to be about meeting attendance.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

No one under 40 that I know is sad.

They are all looking forward to it. Especially those with kids.

• yknot
    yknot
    Me, I would have been glad to have one less night to fool with. Do you reckon many are faking sadness, but instead are actually relieved to have a little more free time?

AND

No one under 40 that I know is sad.

They are all looking forward to it. Especially those with kids.

I agree most of us under 40 (lol I know several people these days having their 1st child in their 40's) are happy to have one less thing to ruin our kids schedules over.. ....BUT.... Most of us PREFERED the cozy atmosphere of our individual BS groups. Yes most were more inclined to give 'interesting' comments and leaving the mind-numbing regurgitation of paragraph to the little ones. Some host families still did 'pot-luck' before the BS started. It was an really nice an encouraging thing to sit down as one big family. Pray rotation to each baptized male. Now I am sad......... a big part of my life is ending as I loved and knew it.........for better assimilation into the cold and heartless BORG! It will be soooooo boring............ And probably in the not to distant future the 25 minutes of BS will be removed entirely. I mean really what the hell are you gonna get from 25 minutes of rushing through the reading selecion?..... There is gonna be serious increases to slacking off on reading in 2009 by many....... it will saving the WTS $$$$$$ on printing useless waterdown books......

• delilah
    delilah

I received an e-mail from a witness friend of mine the other day, and it was from someone who wrote all the things they'd miss about not having a bookstudy in private homes anymore...it was about the babies crying, the kids falling from chairs, the "smells" wafting about, certain ones who rarely showed anyways....stuff like that....I was a bit surprised at it, because these are supposed toenjoy the fine provisions set forth from the FDSC.. They seemed happy about it....

• steve2
    steve2

I had heard that, of the 5 weekly meetings, the Book Study had been the least well attended. Had anyone else heard this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit