Elderly Sister Unknowingly Makes Xmas Cards

by Clam 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

My great Aunt years and years ago, when she was first in the truth, sent a Christmas card to someone and the elders found out and she was put on reproof!!!

My mother who was not a witness, (who now is a witness) was appalled that they could put her Aunt through such an ordeal over sending Christmas card.

purps

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Well, according to Botchtower Corporation, none of these folks were ever supposed to grow old, retire, and reside in nursing homes. What happened? Doesn't Hojovah read all the litteratrash explaining what he was supposed to have done to liberate his witlesses?

B the X

• StAnn
    StAnn
    I found it odd because although great efforts are made to extract their children from the Xmas festivities at schools or worldly™ social events, I wondered if as much care is exercised on elderly Dubs as they enter worldly™ care homes or mental health institutions?

No, because they don't want the prospect of having to take care of them themselves. My sister always kept her daughter home on days when her class was having birthday parties, etc. However, taking grandma out of the nursing home for the day would actually require WORK and the Dubs aren't that stupid.

StAnn

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Reminds me of the time, years ago, when we had a dear old girl in our group who was definitely "sixpence short of a shilling". She was ever present and would shoot up her hand on every paragraph, but her grasp of things was a little vague.

At Christmas time she would merrily announce "Compliments of the Season" to all who arrived,and at the end of the study hand out little hand wrapped gifts to us all...My wife got chocolate, I got perfumed soap (was she telling me something?) Any way we giggled and laughed because she was just not able to grasp the fact tit was supposed to be wrong Some would have said that we were too lenient but we were a tight, mature bunch in that group who laughed it off. We used to love eccentrics, and there were plenty of them in those days.

I have since read a K M article, I am sure, that said that care had to given to elderly ones in Care Homes at this time of year to stop them being drawn into the festivities...I am sure that yours is not the only example

• rebel8
    rebel8

"Maybe the society can reject her estate donation when she dies. Oh no, I guess we'll take it."

What an excellent point! I hope there's someone out in cyberspace reading this who can write a letter to the Society asking this question....Is it appropriate for congregations to accept donations from the estates of those who died out of favor with the Truth?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm glad they didn't freak out and make a scene.

• Clam
    Clam

Cheers for your input folks!

Being a cynical kind of guy I also wonder if less care is taken with the JW elderly, as they're pretty much a spent force in terms of their value to the Organisation. Unlike kids they don't have years of magazine flogging in front of them. It also had me wondering if some of the more tenacious old bible bashing Dubs, not afflicted by senility like to give a witness in their care homes and actually make a nuisance of themselves.

To eke out my last days in a home next to some old Dub pushing the Watchtower to me, would probably set me on the path of voluntary euthenasia.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hey, Clam!

Nice to see you again.

I'm glad her people didn't freak out on her. Leave her alone and let her have a little fun.

My mother, bless her heart, died in 2005 at the age of 88. She was in the early stage of dementia, and when an elder's wife who was sent to "encourage" her used to come by, my mother used to mutter. "What the HELL is she coming here for?"

It was embarrassing at the time, but now looking back, I don't blame her a bit!

Sylvia

• Clam
    Clam

Hi there Sylvia. Cheers!

Hi to everyone else also, especially to Mary, Purps, BluesBrother, rebel8, Carla Blondie, and Elsewhere.

Familiar (rather than old) faces.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I don't laugh at the poor woman's condition, but I do have to laugh. That's a great story, God bless her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit