Being Prejudiced

by purplesofa 68 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    BUT when I married my first husband (a black man from Alabama--boy did we have some BALLS), I always would hear whispers......She's too beautiful to be married to a *insert racial slur we all hate*, or I thought she was smart, or I thought she was better than that. You cannot tell me to this day that had I been involved with a worldly white man I woulda gotten a slap on the wrist instead of a big ol DF. Somehow my being seen with a black man made me look immoral. That is seriously messed up!

Personally, I think many black men are interesting and down right sexy. The old school culture is very attractive whether it's Diana Ross and the Supremes or The Temptations and Sam and Dave. Maybe all those nay sayers were jealous.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

<br><br>Purps I have to agree that one positive thing I got from being raised as a witness is that I looked at everyone no matter what race as my brother or sister .
    <br><br> My Dad and his family were not witnesses and vocally racist . I was born in the south ,S.C. and I don't remember if our hall was segregated , but I do know my mom talked about some of the halls in the south being that way in the early sixties . When we moved up north the school I went to had a good mixture of other cultures .
    <br><br> When I was a teenager I was shocked to find out there was an underlying prejudice attitude even among witnesses. I was good friends with a brother at my school and hall that was bi-racial . We were just friends and liked to play tennis and hang out together . Until one day he told me my mom had gone to his parents and asked for him to stop doing things with me because she feared reprisal from my father .(which I really don't believe was the reason )He was so hurt by this and I was furious .Unfortunately it ended our friendship . In another relationship I had dated a black guy that wasn't a witness and the brothers gave me articles I was suppose to read about the hardships of bi-racial relationships and it could hinder our preaching work if others in the community saw it as wrong ....I really just ignored them , but I was surprised none the less that they didn't have the same viewpoint as me ,that we are all brothers and sisters .
    <br><br> Now I live in a small all white town , and at one of my jobs I work with retired aged white men .Talk about prejudice !!! We have had many heated discussions over the use of the N -word ( not really a discussion , but rather me chastising them for the use of such a derogatory term )In their case it is pure , simple ignorance coupled with a very small world view . I have bi-racial relatives, and I would hate to think of them being spoken of this way . Election time was fun because I was an Obama supporter .

• Satanus
    Satanus

Is prejudice against prejudiced people ok? Does that make YOU prejudiced?

S

• virgo
    virgo

I grew up in the old racist South Africa and experienced prejudice in pretty much every aspect of life. I learnt to live with it largely because of the family I was born into. They helped me appreciate that you cannot judge people by their color and assume that all people of a particular racial group are the same. My grandad was white and married a colored lady. Most of their children are married to people of other races and so are very aware of the prejudice that one can be subjected to. They provided a warm and safe environment to turn to when the going got tough. BTW we really were among the last of the major religious groups to integrate congregations. I remember a couple of talks given discouraging inter-racial dating because of cultural differences and of how outsiders would view this. My kids think that that is simply outrageous. They are all married to people of different races and the experience has reinforced our opinion that we are more alike than we are different. Our prejudices are born from ignorance and bad upbringing.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Our prejudices are born from ignorance and bad upbringing.

Amen.

Thank you, Virgo.

Sylvia

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I knew a couple of wonderful black men I would have dated had we been free in circumstance to date.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I know a White guy on the job that I would date in a heartbeat if we were free.

Sylvia

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I know a White guy on the job that I would date in a heartbeat if we were free.

That's cool. One of the guys I knew was too old for me. I was only 17, but he was such a gentleman and so encouraging. The other was a school counselor off for the summer and working with me for the summer. I was old enough, but I was married. He used to tell me I was my first husband's meal ticket. And he was right.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner~

Gotta love Spencer Tracey in this scene, addressing the "pigmation problem" and the love Katherine Hepburn had for him on and off the screne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6QiEqWcYrA&feature=related

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit