Being Prejudiced

by purplesofa 68 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Chuck Russell/Clayton Woodworth were racist ...

I have a strong suspicion that Clayton Woodworth came up with the blood transfusion ban because of fear that Black people's blood would contaminate that of Whites.

Sylvia

• beksbks
    beksbks

Again, I have to be thankful that I lived in California. One of the things I appreciate (maybe the only one) about my JW childhood (born in Oct '60), was the variety of people. One of my earliest and favorite memories is of a large African American sister they called Peaches. To me, a small child at the time, she was nothing but boobs and smiles. Southern California mid to late '60's. I wonder who she really was.

• loosie
    loosie

Yeah its strange how some people think. I grew up in Ca. I was the only Blonde blue eyed girl in math class. White is the minority in So Cal. I dated a black man. So I guess your daughters boyfriend won't have to speak to me either. LOL.

Sounds like your girl has a good head on her shoulders about it.

• Farkel
    Farkel

beksbks,

:Southern California mid to late '60's.

I lived in Southern California (LA area) from 1967 to 1972, and from there moved to San Diego where I spent most of my life. I've lived in NorCal for the last 6 years or so. It's a great location so-to-speak. I'm close to San Francisco, the Sierra Nevada, Reno, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Monterey and lake Shasta, but it still ain't like San Diego.

As much as I hate California for its wackiness and insane politics, high taxes and restrictions, it is still the best place in the USA to be for me, and I've traveled all over the USA from the Northwest to the Northeast and from the Southwest to the Southeast, coast-to-coast.

My first choice to be is Hawaii where I've made a half dozen trips and spent months at a time there. My second choice is San Diego, where I lived most of 35 years. If I could afford it, I'd be there now. If I was really wealthy, I'd be in Hawaii.

Farkel

• snowbird
    snowbird

Purps mentioned in her opening that she missed the JW's because of their lack of prejudice.

I would like to say that I've experienced prejudice among the JW's, also. - both Black and White.

When the KH was integrated here, a prominent White sister quit attending altogether. The Black elders used to gang up on a White elder and really give him a hard time.

In order to treat each other as brothers, we have to believe the Bible's teaching that we all share the same parentage.

Sylvia

• beksbks
    beksbks
    In order to treat each other as brothers, we have to believe the Bible's teaching that we all share the same parentage.

I love you Sylvia, but science teaches us the same thing. Beyond that, I don't care if we share the same parentage, I care that we are all individuals with hearts and minds, who feel.

• beksbks
    beksbks

OMG!!! Somebody help me! Farkel is apparently my neighbor!!! How close to San Fran? How close to Yosemite? Somewhere in between?????

• Farkel
    Farkel

Sylvia,

Thank you for sharing that. Your story reminded me of a summer when I spent a week or so at Dodger Stadium, getting it ready before the Assembly. We were installed telephones and telephone lines. There must have been at least 50 telephones temporarily installed and wired to each of the various departments so they could call whoever they had to call. I really enjoyed that time. I enjoyed the work, thought I was pleasing Jehovah and got to take time of from my real shithole job, namely Pioneering.

Anyway, the year was about 1969 and we had a black brother in our group. He was a great guy and during one of the verbal joustings that young bucks like us did, he started saying "Black is beautiful" out of the blue. So we started coming back with "White is right!", and we played that game for a day or so and then it got old.

I cannot for the life of me to this very day understand why that whole thing started. It was playful and certainly common for the times we were living in, yet as a Jehovah's Witnesses, it was a first and last time for me to talk that way with one of my own brothers.

Anyway, it's just a story and not in the least bit significant. Here we were all working together and having a great time and at the same time pretending to be race-conscious! I never did see any overt racism in any Congregation/Assembly that I ever attended and I lived during the times when that was a lot more common than it is now.

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

beks,

Cowtown, dear. Cowtown. I'm sure you know what that means. I'm only a few miles away from dear old Arnie.

Farkel

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Everything is cool, I think we have converted him to love and understanding!

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit