Book study suggestion for JWs on this forum

by I quit! 20 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Betterdaze, the following is the only way the WTS applied Acts 17:10,11. Notice their twistf and when it was.

*** w81 2/15 p. 18 Do We Need Help to Understand the Bible? ***

A NOBLE-MINDED VIEW

How shall we view the spiritual food provided by this "faithful and discreet slave"? Should it be viewed critically—‘Oh, well, it might be true but then again it might not be and so we have to scrutinize it very critically’? Some apparently have felt that way about it. To support their way of thinking they have quoted Acts 17:11, which says of newly interested persons at Beroea: "Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so."

But does this mean that those Beroeans were looking for flaws in the message they were hearing, or that their attitude was one of doubting? Does this set a precedent for regarding critically the publications brought forth by the "faithful and discreet slave," with a view to finding fault? Not at all!

First of all, let us note the setting of the statement about the noble-minded Beroeans. Paul, accompanied by Silas, was on his second missionary tour. Due to persecution that arose, the brothers at Thessalonica sent them on to Beroea. In Beroea they met sincere Jews who had strong faith in God’s Word. These were not Christians yet. They were simply interested persons who had to satisfy themselves that what Paul was telling them had the support of the Hebrew Scriptures.

Up to this time, these devout Jews in Beroea may never have heard of Jesus Christ. What Paul was telling them was entirelynew. So those noble-minded Jews in Beroea searched the Scriptures daily to make certain that the references that Paul gave were really part of God’s Word. And with what mental attitude did they pursue their studies? With a skeptical attitude, trying to prove Paul wrong? No, they were altogether unlike Paul’s critics on Mars Hill, for we read that they heard Paul’s testimony with "the greatest eagerness of mind."—Acts 17:11, 32.

OUR VIEW OF THE "SLAVE"

We can benefit from this consideration. If we have once established what instrument God is using as his "slave" to dispense spiritual food to his people, surely Jehovah is not pleased if we receive that food as though it might contain something harmful. We should have confidence in the channel God is using. At the Brooklyn headquarters from which the Bible publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses emanate there are more mature Christian elders, both of the "remnant" and of the "other sheep," than anywhere else upon earth.

True, the brothers preparing these publications are not infallible. Their writings are not inspired as are those of Paul and the other Bible writers. (2 Tim. 3:16) And so, at times, it has been necessary, as understanding became clearer, to correct views. (Prov. 4:18) However, this has resulted in a continual refining of the body of Bible-based truth to which Jehovah’s Witnesses subscribe. Over the years, as adjustments have been made to that body of truth, it has become ever more wonderful and applicable to our lives in these "last days." Bible commentators of Christendom are not inspired either. Despite their claims to great knowledge, they have failed to highlight even basic Bible truths—such as the coming Paradise earth, the importance of God’s name, and the condition of the dead.

Rather, the record that the "faithful and discreet slave" organization has made for the past more than 100 years forces us to the conclusion that Peter expressed when Jesus asked if his apostles also wanted to leave him, namely, "Whom shall we go away to?" (John 6:66-69) No question about it. We all need help to understand the Bible, and we cannot find the Scriptural guidance we need outside the "faithful and discreet slave" organization.

• snowbird
  • BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Blondie you so solidly rock, thank you for posting this.

I understood that it was "verbotten" but didn't see the actual verbage... this quote really is pretty stunning:

"But, strangely, through such ‘Bible reading,’ they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom’s clergy were teaching 100 years ago, and some have even returned to celebrating Christendom’s festivals again..."

Wow. Just wow. "Strangely enough" indeed.

(shakes head and walks away)

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

You rock, blondie!

"The greatest eagerness of mind." < My heart was fully captivated, too!

"We cannot find the Scriptural guidance we need outside the "faithful and discreet slave" organization." < That's what stumbled me.

No Jesus Christ, no holy spirit. We were to self-lobotomize and OBEY the organization, disregarding plainly written scripture.

~Sue

• I quit!
    I quit!
    Actually, in the early 80's they "revealed" how they felt about small groups independently studying the bible (or even a WTS publication). It was forbidden....only family studies and two single people....the fear of apostasy.

I remember that article well Blondie. It came out not to long after I left the Witnesses. I was shocked when I saw it. I remember thinking that they were admitting if you studied the Bible by itself you wouldn't be a Jehovah's Witness. I know this article was brought on by what had happened at Bethel around that time. I showed it to my wife and asked what she thought of them admitting that studying the Bible would lead you astray and right back into Christendom. It turned into an argument and I think that was probably one of the last times we discussed Watchtower teachings together.

It is interesting that Russell taught something similar. If you didn't read his Studies in the Scriptures you would fall into darkness.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

The question that always comes to my mind is... WHY do they think they are so different from the Catholic church? The whole "Pope as a mediator to the masses" thing... you can't get to God without him. That is the claim of the Governing Body. The Governing body is a just a Hydra-Pope... a pope with many heads!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If independent study would cause people to revert back to Christendom's teachings, then maybe those teachings are correct according to the Bible itself. And it's the Washtowel Slaveholdery that's wrong.

• gymbob
    gymbob

Great posts Blondie! You got it goin' on! Gymbob

• compound complex
    compound complex

Isn't the new term for the book study "Congregation Bible Study"?

CoCo

• catbert
    catbert

They claim to be "Gods channel" in one breath, then use the "imperfect men" argument when something is proven wrong. I think they should try the "Gods imperfect channel" argument.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit