Book study suggestion for JWs on this forum

by I quit! 20 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

The WT is doing away with the book study so why not replace it with a Bible study. No additional publication just read the Bible and comment on it. Ask the members of your book study group if they would like to participate and invite others. I think the Watchtower's reaction to an innocent Bible study would be quite revealing.

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

I quit

What drugs are you on. You are asking the society to do something reasonable. Whatever it is your on I'll have double.

mtsgrad

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, in the early 80's they "revealed" how they felt about small groups independently studying the bible (or even a WTS publication). It was forbidden....only family studies and two single people....the fear of apostasy.

*** w81 8/15 pp. 28-29 par. 14 Serving Jehovah "Shoulder to Shoulder" ***From time to time, there have arisen from among the ranks of Jehovah’s people those who, like the original Satan, have adopted an independent, faultfinding attitude. They do not want to serve "shoulder to shoulder" with the worldwide brotherhood. (Compare Ephesians 2:19-22.) Rather, they present a "stubborn shoulder" to Jehovah’s words. (Zech. 7:11, 12) Reviling the pattern of the "pure language" that Jehovah has so graciously taught his people over the past century, these haughty ones try to draw the "sheep" away from the one international "flock" that Jesus has gathered in the earth. (John 10:7-10, 16) They try to sow doubts and to separate unsuspecting ones from the bounteous "table" of spiritual food spread at the Kingdom Halls of Jehovah’s Witnesses, where truly there is ‘nothing lacking.’ (Ps. 23:1-6) They say that it is sufficient to read the Bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through such ‘Bible reading,’ they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom’s clergy were teaching 100 years ago, and some have even returned to celebrating Christendom’s festivals again, such as the Roman Saturnalia of December 25! Jesus and his apostles warned against such lawless ones.—Matt. 24:11-13; Acts 20:28-30; 2 Pet. 2:1, 22.
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"The WT is doing away with the book study so why not replace it with a Bible study."...........Jehovah`s Witness`s don`t study the bible..Ever!!..Jehovah`s Witness`s study books about the Bible,written by the WBT$..All Praise..Then they wash window`s!..Window Cleaning........................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• sir82
    sir82

Blondie,

I love that quote!

Inadvertantly, they admit: "Our doctrines are so convoluted and nonsensical that unless you use our literature as an exclusive filter for Bible study, you will reach the same conclusions that 99.9% of Christians have come to over the past several centuries!"

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

and this caught my eye (thank you, Blondie!):

and some have even returned to celebrating Christendom’s festivals again, such as the Roman Saturnalia of December 25! Jesus and his apostles warned against such lawless ones

Not Christmas, but Saturnalia. And then classed the celebrants as 'lawless'. LOL Lawless???

We took in the drivel week after week for decades. No wonder people are afraid of what may happen to loved ones who leave the org.

-Aude.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    But, strangely, through such ‘Bible reading,’ they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom’s clergy were teaching 100 years ago, and some have even returned to celebrating Christendom’s festivals again, such as the Roman Saturnalia of December 25!

In other words Christendom's teachings are closer to being scriptural than watchtower teachings, or this wouldn't have happened. So who are really the "apostates"?

I grew up celebrating Christmas. I never even heard of "Saturnalia" until the JWs brought it up. How can I celebrate something I never heard of, just because it's on the same date?

W

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

From blondie's WT quote: "Jesus and his apostles warned against such lawless ones."

What about the Bereans? Acts 17:11

What about Paul's counsel to "make sure of all things"? 1 Thessalonians 5:21

Using pharasaic Watchtower reasoning, the disciples in Berea were "such lawless ones"!

~Sue

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

How many of us here were "stumbled" out of the "truth" by sincere, in-depth Bible study? Every time I had a question, my study conductor
    would show up with a handy-dandy printout of articles off the WT CD, incapable of using scripture alone.

Those were not "satisfying answers" so I continued researching... this is how I avoided baptism and started on the route to reversing over 30
    years of Jehovah's Witness brainwashing.

I quit's idea is a good one.

~Sue

• I quit!
    I quit!
    What drugs are you on. You are asking the society to do something reasonable. Whatever it is your on I'll have double.

Nothing right now but I think I'll have a shot of B&B when I get off work tonight. Perhaps it will bring on another Watchtower fantasy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit