Nine year old boy baptised

by dozy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

In all the Bible stories about people getting baptized...show me ONE where it says kids were included in that.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Kids are easier to Baptize..You just pour water over them and stick them back in the play pen..Baby 3Baby 3.......................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• steve2
    steve2

Kids know everything; it's not until they become adults that they realise they know damn little at all. His fate is sealed: He can now be disfellowshipped if he "sins" in the eyes of the local body of elders.

• blondie
    blondie

Would a nine-year old (non-jw) be allowed to:

1. Marry

2. Drive

3. Vote

4. Join the military

5. Quit school

6. Sign a contract

7. Drink alcohol

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

A friend of mine was 8 when he got baptised.

He's DA'd a few years back. I always remember how he used to defend getting baptised at such a young age, saying he knew what he was doing. Only now he admits that he had his doubts for many years, prior to DAing.

Of course nobody now talks to him as he was a baptised brother who decided to leave.

Paul

• steve2
    steve2
    Of course nobody now talks to him as he was a baptised brother who decided to leave.

Only a religion steeped in the brute mentality of the Old Testament (aka Hebrew Scriptures) would be untroubled by this consequence; namely, holding adults accountable for decisions made in childhood.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was 8 when I got baptized.

Coffee

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    In all the Bible stories about people getting baptized...show me ONE where it says kids were included in that.

Scriptures speak of entire households being baptized. Judaism had circumcision on the 8th day as a rite of passage, of now belonging to Israel and being part of it. Baptism is Christianity's equivalent, and it is a rite of passage bringing the child into the body of Christ. "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 19:14).

"Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them; and when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to him, saying, ‘Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God’" (Luke 18:15–16). The JW practice, along with it's ramifications, is not a Christian baptism. BTS

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Hey, at least the Catholics are not forced to forgo everything that would make a life normal. And, if they go inactive later, they are not hounded into going back in. Yet, they may re-enter at any time if they later choose to.

Yes, I have heard of children being baptized at 9 years of age. I have seen yearbook reports and Washtowel experiences where children got baptized at age 6. And they painted the picture as if that was some kind of model for everyone to emulate: parents would think something's wrong with their child if they are 7 or 8 and still not baptized (and so would the congregation). That would put unnecessary pressure on children to be baptized as young as possible (hey, if this 6 year old got baptized, and I am 7, then I am not up to standards).

To compare, Jesus was 30 when he was baptized. And I do not recall a single scripture that insinuates Jesus as "bad associations". I would like to challenge those witlesses to find just one scripture that shames Jesus because he did not get baptized as young as 6 (like imperfect children are being coerced into). Or that showed where Jesus was pressured, as if something was wrong with him because he was not baptized at the age of 12. Note that Jesus, being more fully integrated in thinking than even the Pharisees, was outdoing them even at age 12, and yet was not baptized for another 18 years.

• justhuman
    justhuman

I just can't see how JW's don't see the double standarts of their religion...My daughter was 11, and I recall 2 small JW's got baptized in the ages of 6&7....

Give me a break man...how can they accuse other religions for child baptism, when they are doing the same? Can a 9 year old kid really "know" what is doing. The most irritating for me is that a 9 year old child can get disfellowsiped for any "offence". How can they do that to a child, and we all know the evil procedures of shunning by the WT Society. Can you imagine a 9 year old child to be treated like that???

WT is one of the most mind control destructive cults. In Europe at least we have more strict laws regarding "religions", but still who will defend a 9 year old kid when everyone surround him are a banch of misleaded pawns of the WT Society?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit