The Reason ex-JWs Don't Communicate Well With Others

by StAnn 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StAnn
    StAnn

Aw, Junction Guy, I thought we bonded nicely.

StAnn

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

We did, but then again, you aren't like alot of XJW's. You are one of the exceptions.

• zions watchman
    zions watchman

I communicate well with others, all the bull shit that I put up with within the cong. I found ones on the outside non judgemental, there was'nt a cloud over there head.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Me no talk good.....sit in corner....worldly is bad......hide head under blanket!

• undercover
    undercover

Good thread...

I can relate to the aspect of disliking and not trusting anyone in the world while still a JW. Then, when you're out, you find yourself a bit socially inept. It's hard to get close to people that you once wouldn't have had the time of day for.

I think it might be a bit harder for those of us who are kinda quiet by nature to begin with. To force yourself into uncomfortable settings is hard. Going to a "worldly" event or party was more like work than fun when I first started trying to connect with the real world.

It does gets better over time though. I can pretty much go into any social situation and not feel ill at ease as I used to. I might not be the life of the party, but I can interact and be engaging in conversation instead of hiding in the corner hoping no one notices me.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Undercover, my husband is very shy. He once asked me, "So, how old were you when you got over your shyness?" I was like, huh? I gave my first talk when I was five. Never been shy a day in my life.

Junction Guy, awww, you said that I'm exceptional! That's so sweet!

But I think that, if you had respect for your fellow human beings, you wouldn't possibly be going door-to-door with an eye to doing a "marking work." I know they claim they aren't doing that now but it was a big pride thing when I was young, that when people slammed doors in our faces, they were now labeled as goats. You'd think, if we'd been sincere Christians, we'd have been teary and upset that they were losing out on paradise Earth! Instead, we felt smug because WE were doing our part and THEY had chosen their fate.

I cringe when I think of the kind of person I was raised to be. It's a wonder I came out of the WTS alive.

StAnn

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

St Ann:

This is a GREAT thread. I relate to much of what has been written.

It is amazing that I am doing as well as I am after being raised a JW. I really am lucky to be alive. If I had stayed in the JWs longer I wouldn't be alive.

I really, really think it was the JW part of my upbringing that has made things so difficult for me and my sister socially. I have no doubt about that. I think if my same parents had raised us "normally" in a nice Protestant Church I think we would have had much less problems within ourselves and our family wouldn't have been so broken as it is now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit