Looking for advice on Christmas Trees

by lrkr 16 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Marking for next year - we've decided not to have one this year as we'll be away. One tip I did read was that you need approximately 9ft of garland per ft of tree. Enjoy your decorating!

• StAnn
    StAnn

First, my little bit of advice, then my story.

Put about a tablespoon of bleach in the water to keep the sap from sealing the cut bottom of the tree, so that it continues to absorb water.

Save the branches and trimmings that you'll get, trying to level up the tree, and use them to make wreaths. Before making wreaths with the trimmings, soak them in a bucket of warm water. After the wreath is made, spray it with a spray bottle full of Future floor wax (the clear stuff). I've had wreaths that were just as green as fresh picked in March, because of sealing in the moisture with Future.

When it's time to take the tree out, place a large bedsheet on the floor. Gently lay the tree on the sheet and roll it up in the sheet, then take it outside. Lots less pine needles to clean up later.

Now, my story.

When I got my first tree, my coworkers told me to put "some" bleach in the water. So I did. I put a cup of bleach in the water. Buddy, that tree died so fast! The needles were falling off left and right! One night I was repeatedly awakened by the sound of ornaments tumbling off the tree after the needles fell and the sound of glass breaking when they hit the floor!

So don't put a cup of bleach in the water. Just one or two tablespoonfuls.

BTW, I like a Frasier Fir but my husband prefers a cedar. Also, use whatever decorating scheme you like! I prefer the traditional red, green, and gold. I also buy or make at least one new ornament every year, thus having an eclectic mix of ornaments, all with a memory attached. Some people like for their tree to be thematic or a particular color scheme. It should be whatever suits YOU.

The one thing that is NOT negotiable for me~there MUST be a train running around the bottom of the tree!

StAnn

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Never ever pick one thats growing in yellow snow...they always smell funny.

• beksbks
    beksbks

My tree

CIMG1693.jpg picture by beksbks

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You might want to check this thread out Decorating Tips for Christmas Trees

• lrkr
    lrkr

Have I ever said that you guys are awesome!!! I knew that I would get more good info here than anywhere else. (and I don't have to explain why I've never had a tree and I'm 37 years old!!)

Merry Christmas everyone! (I would say Happy Holidays- but I figured we are not real sensitive on this board about Hannakah celebrating.)

(I'm totally excited about my first tree!!!)

• Odrade
    Odrade

We bought an artificial, pre-lit tree this year. It's in a large pot-style stand, 6-1/2' tall and has about 600 lights. YAY! I have enough ornaments for a decent look if I only decorate the front half, many of them are glass balls from the dollar store. LOL! I love my tree. We don't have the train set yet, but will probably have one next year. I like the real trees, but I do NOT like the bugs Yuck! and I don't like trying to figure out what to do with it after, where to take it, etc. The one we got is nice enough that we will use it for years I'm sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit