Who here has lost their job?

by daniel-p 42 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I found out a couple weeks ago I'll be losing my job by the end of the year. Despite having a BS, and almost a Masters in a professional field, an outstanding education record, and having project management experience, I've had zero luck in getting a new job. Unfortunately, I don't live in a large metro area, and so opportunities for my line of work (governmental) are limited here.

Needless to say, it sucks, and some days I get very depressed and start fantasizing about jumping out of windows and stepping in front of buses and such. I'm trying not to worry too much about bills, health insurance, the remainder of my school's tuition, groceries, etc.

So I just wanted to share that with you all, and if you'd like, maybe we can go to a bar and get drunk together. [I'd use an appropriate beer emoticon, but I'm in Mozilla].

-dp

• blondie
    blondie

Due to budget cuts my job was eliminated some years ago. Thanks to seniority and union policies, I found another. The axe once again looms overhead.........

• undercover
    undercover

Tough economy all over...

sorry to hear of your loss of job.

It's not the real thing but it's the best I can do here:

Hang in there and keep looking.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I have.

I've been taking classes though Job and Family Resources. There is eight in the class. Two homeless. One is a woman 53, been living in a homeless shelter since April. She's not alcholic or drug addict...just bad choices. One man 57 is trying to get back into the workforce after spending the last 7 yrs caring for his sick-aging parents until they recently died. One 24yr old, with 5 kids and an 11th grade education. Several are going though divorce.

lisa

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Sheesh, that shucks. From a purely selfish point of view I would encourage you not to jump under that bus, I'd miss your comments here!

I know a lot of people who are going through similar. I'm a little far away to go for a drink but lets have a virtual one. Beer 9

I hope you get fixed up with something soon.

MM

• cognac
    cognac

Sorry to hear that. I work in a law department of a major insurance company... Everyone where I work is a bit worried about that...

• 5go
    5go

I was laid off from one trade a month ago but seeing as I had a license for another they moved me to that one.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Not yet, but the Sword of Damocles is hanging over my head.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Not yet, but the Sword of Damocles is hanging over my head.

Sometimes, that is worse than actually getting stabbed by the sword. The expectation or threat is nerve wracking. BTS

• Mary
    Mary

I'm losing mine at the end of March. I've been lucky---I have a job I love and a wonderful boss. I doubt I'll be lucky enough to get that again. Hopefully I can get something else here as this is a big place......If not, I'm getting another phone line put in the house and am going to do phone sex. Between Warlock, Minimus and Gumbers as customers, I'll be able to retire within the year.

altaltalt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit