Scriptures that bothered me when I was a Witness

by I quit! 25 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

I was just thinking of a some of the scriptures that really bothered me when I was a witness. One of them was Exodus 34:6" "And Jehovah went passing before his face declaring: "Jehovah Jehovah a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness and truth". To me this made God look like a little kid with an out of control ego. I mean could you really see the creator of all things having the need to blow his own horn and act this way? I know they had explanations of this but they never made much sense either. It says what it says. Thankfully don't feel the need to take stories like this literally anymore.

Did this one bother you? Were there any others you remember that bothered you?

• White Dove
    White Dove

All the scriptures saying to kill children and all who live in the cities. They didn't do anything wrong but be a citizen of a city.

The conflict that comes from reading Jehovah is love and Jehovah is a manly person of war. Jesus did not come to make peace but to make war, or something like that really bothered me.

All the ones that put women far below men. Women didn't talk to men in public. Sounds like Islam.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

The Tower of Babel story always made God to seem to be a bit of a prick to me. "Look, mankind is achieving great things. Let's mess with them." Not a direct quote, but that was the gist of it.

• sacolton
    sacolton

The she-bear that ripped apart the children for making fun of the prophet ... 2 Kings 2:23:

Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, "Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!"

And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

(shudders)

• snowbird
    snowbird

This still bothers me, for obvious reasons. From The Message Bible:

Genesis 16

1 -2 Sarai, Abram's wife, hadn't yet produced a child. She had an Egyptian maid named Hagar. Sarai said to Abram, " God has not seen fit to letme have a child. Sleep with my maid. Maybe I can get a family from her." Abram agreed to do what Sarai said.

3 -4 So Sarai, Abram's wife, took her Egyptian maid Hagar and gave her to her husband Abram as a wife. Abram had been living ten years in Canaan when this took place. He slept with Hagar and she got pregnant. When Hagar learned she was pregnant, she looked down on her mistress.

5 Sarai told Abram, "It's all your fault that I'm suffering this abuse. I put my maid in bed with you and the minute she knows she's pregnant, she treats me like I'm nothing. May God decide which of us is right."

6 "You decide," said Abram. "Your maid is your business."

Sarai was abusive to Hagar and Hagar ran away.

7 -8 An angel of God found her beside a spring in the desert; it was the spring on the road to Shur. He said, "Hagar, maid of Sarai, what are you doing here?"

She said, "I'm running away from Sarai my mistress."

9 -12 The angel of God said, "Go back to your mistress. Put up with her abuse." He continued, "I'm going to give you a big family, children past counting.

From this pregnancy, you'll get a son: Name him Ishmael;
    for God heard you, God answered you.
    He'll be a bucking bronco of a man,
    a real fighter, fighting and being fought,
    Always stirring up trouble,
    always at odds with his family."

13 She answered God by name, praying to the God who spoke to her, "You're the God who sees me!

"Yes! He saw me; and then I saw him!"

14 That's how that desert spring got named "God-Alive-Sees-Me Spring." That spring is still there, between Kadesh and Bered.

15 -16 Hagar gave Abram a son. Abram named him Ishmael. Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar gave him his son, Ishmael.

Was Sarah a shrew or what?

Sylvia

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

I always thought it would be a lot simpler if the parable of the rich man and Lazarus wasn't in the Bible. I can see why people read that parable and think he's talking about a burning hell. And the JWs' explanation of the parable is convoluted and weak.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I always thought it would be a lot simpler if the parable of the rich man and Lazarus wasn't in the Bible.

LOL.

I'll bet Russell and Franz felt the same way.

Sylvia

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

1 Peter 3

18 Why, even Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous [person] for unrighteous ones, that he might lead YOU to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit. 19 In this [state] also he went his way and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who had once been disobedient when the patience of God was waiting in Noah’s days, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.

• sacolton
    sacolton

The parable of the rich man and Lazarus is very important. When I left the organization, the PO came over to our house to talk to me. I showed him the scripture of Luke 23:43 how "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise." and the PO said, "How can that be when Jesus was dead for three days, so how could he be in paradise that day?" Well, look at the parable and you can see that Jesus preached to the dead from paradise and took the thief with him. I didn't understand this then, but now it makes perfect sense.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Matthew 27 chapter

52 The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, 53 and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.

This one botthered me even before 1976.

I thought if dead people were ressurected why wasn't this recorded in history?

Why didnt Flavius Josephus or any other historian record a bunch of dead people walking around?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit