What Scholar said this?

by Cynisister 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cynisister
    Cynisister

In the Dec. 15, 08 WT (I just scan the mags that my still "loyal" hubby brings home from the kh to see if there's any "new light') a supposed scholar is quoted in par. 6 of page 17 as saying in regard to Acts 20:20: "Paul had spent three years in Ephesus. He visited every house, or at least he preached to all of the people. (see vs 26) HERE IS SCRIPTURAL WARRANT FOR HOUSE TO HOUSE EVANGELISM,,," (capitalization mine for emphasis.)

Anyone know exactly who said this?? A Jw "scholar" perhaps?

Cynisister

• sir82
    sir82

Here is what I found via Google on that quote:

Commenting on Acts 20:20, Randolph O. Yeager wrote that Paul taught “both in public assemblies [de·mo·si´a] and from house to house (distributive [ka·ta´] with the accusative). Paul had spent three years in Ephesus. He visited every house, or at least he preached to all of the people (verse 26). Here is scriptural warrant for house to house evangelism as well as that carried on in public meetings.”

Looks like he published a bit-by-bit New Testament translation back in th e70's / 80's.

I'm sure more info is available via Google if you are interested.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:A Jw "scholar" perhaps?

That's an oxymoron with or without the quotes!

Farkel

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

See what else the scholar said:

Randolph O. Yeager: "Only sophomores in Greek grammar are going to translate '...and the Word was a God.' The article with logos, shows that logos is the subject of the verb en and the fact that theos is without the article designates it as the predicate nominative. The emphatic position of theos demands that we translate '...and the Word was God.' John is not saying as Jehovah's Witnesses are fond of teaching that Jesus was only one of many Gods. He is saying precisely the opposite." The Renaissance New Testament, Vol. 4 (Renaissance Press, 1980), p.4.
    Got this from towerwatch website.

• Cynisister
    Cynisister

Thanks, that's very interesting!

C

• blondie
    blondie

Actually it is very unprofessional and deceptive to quote some unnamed "scholar" to support a key doctrine of the WTS. They do it often.

• sacolton
    sacolton

What leading Greek scholars say about the NWT:1. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger, professor of New Test at Princeton University, calls the NWT "a frightful mistranslaton, Erroneous and pernicious, reprehensible. If the JW's take this translation seriously, they are polytheists." (Professor of New Test Language and Literature)

2. Dr. William Barclay, a leading Greek scholar, said "it is abundantly clear that a sect which can translate the New Test like that is intellectually dishonest."

3. British scholar H.H. Rowley stated, "From beginning to end this volume is a shining example of how the Bible should not be translated."

4. "Well, as a backdrop, I was disturbed because they (Watchtower) had misquoted me in support of their translation." (These words were excerpted from the tape, "Martin and Julius Mantey on The New World Translation", Mantey is quoted on pages 1158-59 of the Kingdom Interlinear Translation)

5. Dr. Julius Mantey, author of A Manual Grammer of the Greek New Test, calls the NWT "a shocking mistranslation. Obsolete and incorrect. It is neither scholarly nor reasonable to translate John 1:1 "The Word was a god."

6. "I have never read any New Test so badly translated as the The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures...it is a distortion of the New Test. The translators used what J.B. Rotherham had translated in 1893, in modern speeh and changed the readings in scores of passages to state what JW's believe and teach. That is a distortion not translation." (Julius Mantey, Depth Exploration in the New Test.

7. the translators of the NWT are "diabolical deceivers." (Julius Mantey in discussion with Walter Martin)

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    Actually it is very unprofessional and deceptive to quote some unnamed "scholar" to support a key doctrine of the WTS. They do it often.

With the internet, it has become quite a bit easier to identify the 'unnamed scholar' in many cases. What I find very interesting here is the person quoted to support a key part of their doctrine has strongly come out against another cornerstone. I find this similar to one of the folks who the WTS quotes very frequently in the Trinity brochure to support the non-existence.....I believe it was Arthur Weigall, if one does any looking into what else this gentleman has written, you find he is very anti a lot of the basics that the WTS (and much of mainstream Christianity) teach as truths...at least in the Trinity brochure one is provided the name of the person and the publication...

• Mary
    Mary

The WTS never references anything other than their own work......for obvious reasons. Cynisister, you may want to check out the disection I did of their "proof" for the house to house ministry a few months ago. They had an entire WT study article with some very selective quotes:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/165144/1.ashx

• wobble
    wobble

The old canard of using Acts 20v20 to justify the door to door waste of time has been demolished several times on JWD,suffice to say,just read the verse,Paul is talking about teaching them,the believers in their own homes.

He may have called on every house in Ephesus,personally I doubt it,but this verse does not say that,and even if he did it's no sanction for preaching that way today.

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit