very simple hot meal recipes wanted :)

by asilentone 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

My submitted recipe met the criteria "....Very simple....hot..."

• rebel8
    rebel8

Spray the bottom of a pie plate with nonstick butter-flavored spray. Spread a thin layer of Old El Paso taco sauce on the bottom. Lay a tortilla in there; spray lightly. Spread Old El Paso vegetarian refried beans on that, sprinkle on some of your favorite cheddar or authentic Mexican cheese, top with a thin layer of taco sauce. Repeat until the dish is full, topping with cheese. Put it under the broiler until the top is nicely browned. Pop it in your microwave for a minute or so, until it's heated through.

Wash an apple and cut a thin slice of the top off. Cut out most of the core but leave some at the bottom--you don't want a hole going all the way through. Sprinkle some oats in the hole, top with a little brown sugar, a sprinkle of cinnamon/spices of your choice, then a pat of butter. Put it in your toaster oven until soft. Or do the same thing with fresh pear halves (cut the long way). You can use caramel sauce in place of the brown sugar.

For a healthy breakfast, take a piece of good bread (cinnamon, whole wheat, whatever) and top it with some low fat cottage cheese. Try to not put too much of the cheese liquid on there. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. You can put a thin layer of jam under the cheese if you want. Put this in your toaster oven until the cheese is melted. You can also make this a savory sandwich by adding thinly sliced vegetables under the cheese (omitting jam of course).

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Auguste Escoffier is rotating in his grave with extreme rapidity.

HB

• DJK
    DJK

This is one I did often raising five kid's.

One pork roast in the oven at 350 for one hour. (large in my case)

Mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with a can of water and pour on roast. Cook roast another hour ( the flavor of the soup get's very tasty mixed with the pork juices) with potato's in the oven for baked potato. (mashed potato with the gravy from the finished roast is great too) You can have a three course easy dinner adding any can of veggie's, maybe green, or cook wide noodles and combine with a can of mushroom soup mixed with water. (wide noodlels and cream of mushroom soup can also be a great quick meal)

The kids are grown up and now I use this one when I get bored and need a change.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Auguste Escoffier is rotating in his grave with extreme rapidity.

HB

Au contraire, he's rubbing his hands with gustatory delight.

Sylvia

• La Capra
    La Capra

Spray an oven-safe baking dish and lid with non stick spray: Put in 2 frozen chicken breasts, one bag frozen black-eyed peas, 2 cans beef broth, one chopped onion, (about) 1/2 cup (or so) dry red wine, (about) 2 teaspoon ground thyme, (about) 2 teaspoon garlic salt and ground pepper. Bake at 375-400 for (about) an hour. After an hour (during which you should finish the dry red wine and take a nap), remove chicken, chop it up and return to dish, add (about) 1 cup white rice and bake for another 20-30 minutes. (Best baked on a foil-line cookie sheet to protect oven from splatters, even through the lid.) I guess if defrosted chicken breasts were used, chop the chicken and add rice after 30-35 minutes.

If the ingredients are all on hand (they are in my kitchen) this can get into the oven in about five minutes (chopping the onion being the only real "prep") without a lot of post-prep clean-up. It also gives you a good hour to do other stuff. We serve this stand alone or with bread.

This one warms the belly and the soul, and might possiby bring good luck fortune.

Shoshana

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Greek Omelet

Beat a few eggs and a little bit of milk in small bowl and pour into saute pan.

Layer a bunch of spinach over the egg mixture and some feta cheese over that.

Cook over medium or medium/low heat until eggs are not runny.

Serve.

I like to heat up sun-dried tomatoes and serve them on top of the omelet with some fresh fruit on the side.

Fresh avocado, too, if available.

Good for lazy Sunday breakfast with cup of coffee.

-Aude.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Chops with Avocado/Orange Sauce

Fry up some chicken breasts or boneless pork chops with cajun seasoning. Take them out of the pan and pour in a cup or two of chicken broth (or bouillon from cubes, even). Heat it up while stirring to get the "good stuff" off the bottom of the pan.

For each cup of broth, take 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and mix it with a little water. Pour a little of the broth back into the starch-and-water to warm it up. Dump the starch mixture into the pan and stir till the broth turns into gravy.

Now fancy it up by cutting up an avocado and opening a can of mandarin oranges. Drain the oranges. Dump into the gravy; stir gently. Pour over the meat and some rice. Serve with whatever vegetables you like.

Meatballs with Caper Sauce

Same as above, but start with meatballs (you can get them in the frozen food section if you're intimidated or feeling lazy, or just make your favorite recipe). Garlic salt or garlic instead of cajun seasoning. Replace half the broth with white wine - or use a splash of vinegar or lemon juice in the broth. Instead of avocadoes and mandarin oranges, use a tablespoonful of capers. Then stir in a cup of sour cream at the very end - DON'T heat the sour cream or it'll curdle.

Tantric Salmon Teriyaki

Take a couple of nice salmon steaks or fillets . Slice up half an onion and several cloves of garlic (that's right - slice the garlic, don't chop it). Start them frying in the pan with some oil. Add the salmon and lots of your favorite teriyaki sauce. Not cupsful, just a nice little puddle of sauce for the salmon to luxuriate in. Cook the salmon just as you would normally. Serve over rice with vegetables. Try not to fight over the fish.

gently feral

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

no more kool aid asked:

Do you have a crock pot?

Some people feel that food gets overdone when it's in a crockpot all day. My solution is to buy one of those three-dollar lamp timers and plug it into that.

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit