Neckties ... Does Jehovah Approve?

by sacolton 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sacolton
    sacolton

Neckties come from pagans ...

Ancient neckties

For the history of the tie, see also Cravat.

Regardless of the fact that the definition of the necktie in most dictionaries states "a large band of fabric worn around the neck under the collar and tied in front with the ends hanging down as a decoration", its history says a lot more. Men have always found it necessary to tie something around their necks. The earliest historical example is in ancient Egypt. The rectangular piece of cloth that was tied and hung down till the shoulders was a very important part of an Egyptian’s clothing because it showed his social status. In China, all the statues around the grave of Emperor Shi Huang Ti bear a piece of cloth around their necks, which is considered an ancestor of the modern necktie. In art from the Roman Empire, men are also depicted bearing neckwear that much resembles the contemporary necktie.

Please, tell me that the Jehovah's Witnesses take no part of a custom that has pagan origins! Say it isn't so!

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Unlike birthdays, no mention is made in the Bible of anyone being beheaded while wearing a necktie therefore making it a conscience matter.

• asilentone
    asilentone

send that one to Bethel to see what they have to say about it.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

that's just awesome!

• sacolton
    sacolton
    The modern cravat originated in the 1630s; like most men's fashions between the 17th century and World War I, it was of military origin.

Ooh! Pagan AND military. Two evil origins wrapped in one!

• ninja
    ninja

fading away said..."Unlike birthdays, no mention is made in the Bible of anyone being beheaded while wearing a necktie therefore making it a conscience matter.".....saddam hussein was almost beheaded wearing his necktie recently...ahem ....so I reckon it's more of a health and safety approach

• yknot
    yknot

I would send that to the Service Department anonymously....... knowing at least you will brighten the day of some poor stiff lost in the WTS. Perhaps even add the address link to JWD.

I see it being lumped in with wedding rings.

• ninja
    ninja

y "knot"....why did I know you would post on this "thread"....he he

• shamus100
    shamus100

Everything on earth is Pagan. Dubs just don't get it, do they? Pick and choose, pick and choose....

• yknot
    yknot

Ninja

Maybe I will show up for FS dressed as a skirted Annie Hall in braided hair wearing gold and pearls..... ( Deuteronomy 22:5 , 1 Timothy 2:9, 10)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit