Groucho Marx quotes...this guy was hilarious!

by LovesDubs 20 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

....."I took a train once,but they made me give it back!"..Groucho Marx.....LOL!!..................................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

My sister bought a biography(?) book that was about the Marx Brothers. It was one of those books that had lots of glossy photos in it, along with a history of how they got started, and their movies, etc.

Anyway... I don't remember much about it other than it mentioned that when they made their movies, the Marx boys were pretty much geniuses - and got bored easily. At first - they were able to occupy themselves playing cards - while waiting their turn to be in a scene.

Later on though - they got bored, and would wander around the lot - often disappearing - no one knowing where they were. If I recall correctly - it got to the poit where the producers had to have them chained - somehow - in their rooms - so that they would be there for their scenes.

Like I said - I remember this from long ago... I may have it wrong... but after watching these guys in their movies... I wouldn't doubt it.

Ther humor is so fast paced - if you stop to laugh at one of their stunts - you may miss three more. I love some of the repartee that Groucho and Chico can get into - over a contract... "The party of the first part..." ... that's just one example... there are many. Don't get me started on Harpo Marx. He's a riot!

Regards,

Jim TX

• beksbks
    beksbks

Why a duck?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

from Duck Soup:

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you, he really is an idiot."
  • crazycate
    crazycate

"You have beautiful eyes...well one anyway."

Re the contract debate, "You can't fool me; there's no sanity clause."

Love the Marx Brothers!

Cate

• Gregor
    Gregor

trivia - Harpos widow, Barbara, married Frank Sinatra.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

You Bet Your Life like all shows then were live and gosh the stuff he did to people. You could tell he was waaaaaay ahead of that daft blonde housewife who was playing the game...he was thinking and commenting and tapping that cigar like mad. He'd zing the contestant and before they could digest what he said he was zinging them again!

Great stuff....totally. I used to love Red Skelton, Jack Benny, Bob Hope...definitely the good ol days...when you only had three channels to choose from LOLOL!

• beksbks
  • hubert
    hubert

Now I know where Rodney Dangerfield got his score.

Hubert

• Dagney
    Dagney

Oh my goodness, I love both Groucho and Marx Brothers' movies. They do take a bit of concentration to catch all the lines, but wow...it is so funny.

I'm at work and can't check, but there is an interview I think on youtube with Dick Cavett and Groucho. They ran it one time on TCM, and I had recorded it...it is so funny, Groucho with his gold hat. You just giggle the whole way through. If it is on youtube, take some time and watch it; I think you will have a giggle or two.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit