Materialism: An Example

by WTWizard 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have just realized what crap material items the witlesses live with. Just now, I went through my place and marked the things that the witlesses stocked me up with at the time I moved in 1x years ago (more work, hounders, to figure out just when). And I found plenty of crap.

First, the "furniture" was flimsy wicker. Chairs that will not support anywhere near my weight (and I am not unusually fat--standard chairs will easily support my weight) without twisting. I found one "sofa" that was nothing more than a wicker crap thing that was about 4 feet long, with wimpy cushions. I also got some crap sheets, crap dish towels that may have been contaminated with witless cooties, and pxxx poor cutlery that would never be able to carve a stick of soft butter. (And can not be sharpened due to their teeth not being suitable for sharpening). And plenty of worthless knickknacks of various kinds.

And they took me to Wal-Mart for some crap items at the same time (again, more than 10 years ago). The dish rack is barely suitable. The laundry basket is so wimpy that the top rim was bent out of shape and ruined less than 2 years later. Blankets that are rather ragged along the edges. A pillow that went completely flat less than 2 years, along with a crap pillowcase. And they thought all that was luxury!

Now I am in the process of discarding most of it. Most of the cookware got tossed back in 2005, when I got a couple of real good pots from Neova. (Yes, they cost me about $250, but they are real good.) I got a Vitamix blender for $500, which is also heavy duty (better than the crap blenders that wimp out on grinding ice and frozen fruits, and conk out after only 2 years). The decorative items got tossed (I have plenty of Christmas decorations, plus I found several sites from Maine that sell really good stuff).

Additionally, I am ordering real good stuff. L.L.Beans has real good blankets to replace the worn-out witless crap (that could well have witless cooties). They are expensive ($50 and 60), but L.L.Beans has a real good guarantee, and the quality of the units I ordered was rated 5 out of 5 by customers. I got a mattress pad for $50 and a new pillow with pillowcases. Those cost me good money, too, but are much better than the Wal-Mart crap the witlesses wanted me to have.

As for the cutlery, I have found several good places to get new stuff that is much better. First stop: Stonewall Kitchen. I ordered three good knives already from there, which cost me $90 (plus a couple of good pot holders to replace the crap ones the witlesses left me with), and it will get rid of the crap ones I got from the witlesses. The toaster is also slated to go: I plan on spending at least $120 for a good one that will outlast several $20 crap ones. Mixing bowls will also be replaced with stuff from the local web sites--better made in Maine than made in China, plus no witless cooties or pxxx poor quality.

Ultimately, every single piece of crap I got from those witlesses on moving in is going to end up in the Dumpster. I plan on replacing it with good products. I know the witlesses would think of it as materialism, if their gaze ever got past the Christmas decorations. But, I would rather be materialistic and have quality, witless-cootie-free merchandise than save money, put up with the crap from the witlesses, and put the difference into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. After all, Maine and Virginia can use the money more than Brooklyn Beth Hell.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I love ya, man, but from what I read is that you seem alittle ungrateful for the things they did get you ... even though it wasn't top-shelf quality stuff from Dillards or Macy's, the simple fact that they furnished you with something useful doesn't necessarily make them cheap or bad. Heck, if I was without means to support myself with items ... I'd be more than happy to accept second-hand furniture. You know the saying "beggers can't be choosers"? Just my .02 cents.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I love your posts, too, WTW.

I'm happy to read that you're doing what you want with your money.

Good quality stuff never goes out of style. I still have a cookware set that I bought in 1979.

Sylvia

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Perhaps they didn't have money to spoil you. Why not rather donate what you now call crap to someone who is in need *shrug*

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Because the crap is basically used up, after relatively few years. Better to get good products in the first place; that way, you end up spending much less in the long run (and putting that much less in the landfills) to replace things that wear out or get busted before their time.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

You really can't expect others to buy you top quality items to get you on your feet WTW. Come on now let's be realistic. Now that you are able to afford those top quality items and are buying them for yourself that's great, but don't knock people for buying you Walmart items to help you out.

This post to me seems a bit imature and ungrateful.

nj

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Wow, I must be in a good congregation. I always get first class stuff from them. Hell they even wipe my ass with 2 ply.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I think what The Wiz means is that he was encouraged to be content with crappy stuff while "seeking first the Kingdom."

I know that happened to me back in 1973 when I first began to "study." I was discouraged from going to college or taking a job that required shift work. I distinctly remember being warned about accepting a job at a trucking company because I would have been working with a lot of males!

I settled for a job at a bakery making only $36 per week when I could have been making 5 times that much.

Fool.

Sylvia

• Trying2understand
    Trying2understand

You are moving on and want to get rid of all the evil by replacing it with something that makes you feel good. I believe you don't want to pass any of those bad memories onto someone else. If throwing these items away will help you heal faster in the long run, then throw them away. This is your way of dealing with what they have put you through.

Alot of times if you put the furniture out by the trash, people will pick it up. By this way you will never know where it went. It's just an idea.

I am so happy that you are going on with your life.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I am all for quality! And yes spend the extras. But what you perceive as crap could help out someone else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit