"Impartial" Documentation Needed Regarding Rutherford

by compound complex 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Actually, check out the article "Why Salter Lost His Job" by C. J. Woodworth in that issue (pp. 498-504). It is "impartial" in the sense that it is an official Watchtower publication, and it unintentionally drops two big bombs about Rutherford. First of all, he alleges that Walter Salter, the Canadian branch servant, was himself a womanizer with his stenographer -- echoing what is later alleged about Rutherford. He alluded at least five times to an improper relationship between Salter (a married man) and his "ladifren":

"....the purchase of a fur coat for his ladifren with a portion of those funds..."

"Sometimes he spent the afternoons dictating personal letters to his ladifren stenographer."
    "At the hearing, the ladifren stenographer was so seated in the room that, as she read the letters, there was no way in which Salter could give her the wink."
    "Before being dismissed he did not engage in the service work to any extent, except when out with his ladifren at week ends."
    "His own good wife, not his ladifren, said that if she were to listen to him she would not be in the truth any time at all."

Note that while Woodworth here is sarcastically critical about Salter after the fact, it is clear that (as far as Woodworth was concerned) Salter had his relationship with his "ladifren" for quite some time and kept his lofty position....only after Salter "turned apostate" and wrote his letter did his inappropriate relationship suddenly become a matter for villification. Does that mean that there was a permissive attitude towards this sort of thing at the top, which was overlooked as long as the person was doing the Lord's work in the organization? If so, how does that reflect on Rutherford? It is worth recalling a striking series of articles in 1929 in which Rutherford took a rather lenient view towards adultery and other "weakensses of the flesh". In the 15 March 1929 Watchtower, he wrote that such sinners are "powerless to resist" their fleshly weaknesses and "have no desire to oppose or misrepresent God ... their hearts are not wicked. It often happens that such people are credited with being the best-hearted people in the community" and "God pities the sinners and makes allowances for their weakness" (pp. 93-95). Here he clearly distinguishes those who give in to fleshly weaknesses and those who oppose the Lord's work. Salter's weaknesses could be forgiven as long as he did not oppose the organization; once he did, he would be villified as having an evil heart. The 1 September 1929 Watchtower contains another article which says that "yielding to the inherited or acquired weaknesses of the flesh is not the sin unto death, and yet the Devil has led everybody to believe that lying, stealing, swearing, committing adultery, getting drunk or losing one's temper, or any other of the long list of fleshly weaknesses, constitutes sin unto death. But on the contrary, all these things are forgivable. This explains why David could be a man after God's own heart. His heart was loyal, but his flesh was weak" (p. 271). The similarity between this list of weaknesses and what is alleged of Rutherford is altogether striking.

Second, Woodworth in "Why Salter Lost His Job" tacitly admits one of the main allegations that Salter made in his letter -- that Rutherford had a serious drinking problem. He did not question the factualness of Salter's statements but rather justified Rutherford's liquor consumption:

"It is nothing new that Jesus and His followers are accused of being winebibbers. Did that charge affect in any way Jesus' standing with His heavenly Father? Not an iota. Why did Jesus use it? He was under great nervous strain. It provided a perfect nutrient, immediately assimilable. A chiropractor, once treating Judge Rutherford and the writer at the same time, said to the judge, as he saw his back suffering from ankylosis (six vertebrae fused together by pneumonia), 'You are a miracle of God's grace.' At the same time he said to the writer, 'He is bearing a burden that would utterly crush you.' Read that paragraph twice, and make the most of it, all you hypocrites that wish to remain hypocrites to the end. You will get your wish, and your reward."

This is a direct response to Salter's allegations about Rutherford's alcoholism (so it is best to read Salter's letter first to see what he is replying to). It is significant that the author (C. J. Woodworth), who is strident in his polemic and who would not hesitate to accuse Salter of lying, concedes Salter's claims but justifies Rutherford's use of alcohol by (1) comparing Rutherford to Jesus, and (2) giving a medical reason for the alcohol use. He calls Salter a hypocrite not for making up facts about Rutherford's drinking but for finding fault with it. Because Woodworth was a hostile witness, what he tacitly admits is quite credible. Woodworth indicates that Rutherford was self-medicating for pain (as he was suffering "under great nervous strain") and it appears that alcohol was prescribed by his chiropractor Alta Eckols to treat his condition. Woodworth's statements suggest that Rutherford believed that the amount of alcohol he drank was not immoderate given his serious physical condition. Perhaps it would be immoderate for the average person who did not suffer with the pain that Rutherford suffered, but Rutherford apparently felt that his condition justified the amount of alcohol he drank in order to treat it.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Compound Complex:

Atlantis was sent a file from (Sweden7), on this subject with many pictures of the dancers who were performing in 1926-1927 at the Winter Garden Theater. This file has never been posted, due to many of the pictures of the dancers who appeared semi-nude or totally nude who were dancing in front of Rutherford around 1926.

The file can't be put into a PDF, without the reader losing their thought of subject matter, because of the way the pictures of the dancers are so close together. There are also Watchtower and Awake article scans in the file. Due to the "graphic" nude photos, Atlantis chose to just put the file on the shelf.

If you think it will assist in your project, I will ask Atlantis to send it to you in an email because I do not believe Simon or the Moderators will allow such a file to be posted here.

Nevada!-

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you once again, Leolaia, and greetings and thanks to you, Atlantis, for your kind offer of assistance.

I am overwhelmed by both the level of penetrating analysis made and the generous manner in which it has been offered. This may prove to be the impartial documentation I have sought.

Proper and meaningful conclusions can be drawn by connecting the dots.

When I grow up I hope to become a thinker.

http://www.garden-fountains.com/famous-statues/thinker.htm

Love and gratitude,

CoCo

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Compound Complex:

Thank you CC! Just send us a [ pm ] if you want us to send it to your email address!

Nevada!-

• Farkel
    Farkel

cc,

:I have enjoyed reading what you, Leolaia and Farkel, had so painstakingly put together.

Sigh. I always become the second banana on this one.

Point of order here:

I broke the story. I was the first and only person who produced credible, or at least seriously "plausible" information that JFR was an adulterous slut. I produced the first serious evidence of his infidelity. Leoleia confirmed the facts that I presented and not ONE of the things I wrote was found to be in error due to her research.

My friend, the late Carl Thornton and his wife Jan and I had a conversation a few years ago when Carl dropped the bombshell that his great aunt told him about Berta.

Note to Leoleia: it was his great aunt, not his aunt who told him this.

I said to Carl: "We have a bombshell here!" He said, "You think so?" I said, "Hell yes. Let me run with this but let us make sure I have everything your great aunt said was precise and not muddled by time." We went over the words many times until I was convinced that Carl (and Jan who also heard those words) got them right. THEN I wrote the piece on Berta. And included companion information about Bonnie Boyd/Heath.

Sure enough, within about 3 weeks we had 10,000 page views on the piece. Carl and Jan were amazed at the activity it generated. Now Carl had written stuff (and been quoted as an authority) in Ed Gruss's books, but he told me that the Berta piece generated much more interest than anything he had ever done.

Jim Penton may have done some independent research, but I believe he used Carl's/my material in his brief comments about JFR's infidelity. We both knew Carl, but I wrote about Berta before Jim did. Carl never told me he told Jim about what he revealed to me before he revealed it to me.

That really doesn't matter, though. Jim's not getting rich over JW issues and neither am I. So far I have made this much money writing about JW issues:

$0

With regards to "impartial" documentation regarding JFR and his infidelity, I would like to remind this thread of what I consider to be a very significant piece of information that has already been revealed.

Looking at the original thread, a poster named "Cyberguy" stated that in about 1972 in Long Beach California, an Elder in his Congregation told him that an old pioneer women by the name of Berta Peale confessed to her elders that she had had a long-standing sexual affair with Da Grudge and was afraid that she would lose her "anointed" status and not get her reward because of it. The elders called Brooklyn and told them her story. They replied that since it happened so long before, just ignore it. (How often does Brooklyn do THAT?)

Then Leoleia's genius comes into action. She researched it! Guess what she found? She found a Death Certificate for dear old Berta in about 1972 in LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA!

Keep in mind that "Cyberguy" made his post BEFORE any solid evidence showed up that Berta was in Long Beach, CA near the time she died. Leoleia produced that evidence AFTER Cyberguy's post.

Pretty compelling stuff, eh? I still am amused that she wore bras with the nipple areas cut away way back when Da Grudge was King Shit. According to Carl, Berta was hot, hot, hot. And stupid. She was my kind of girl, but in the wrong generation for me!

Farkel

• compound complex
    compound complex

I have enjoyed reading what you, Leolaia and Farkel, had so painstakingly put together.

I have enjoyed reading what you, Farkel and Leolaia, had so painstakingly put together.

Greetings Farkel,

I apologize for my error.

There is so much I would say in gratitude to you, but I typically shut down and become tongue-tied (finger-tied at the keyboard) when feeling ashamed. I have great difficulty in understanding so many things; my concern over how to present this information took precedent over proper attribution of source material.

Sincerely,

CC

• middleman
    middleman

I would like to have a PM of this PDF please Atlantis. Thank-you so much

Blessings...

• VM44
    VM44
    She found a Death Certificate for dear old Berta in about 1972 in LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA!

I found a newspaper announcement of Berta's death. Actually it was more of an annoucement that Berta had died and that a talk was going to be given at a Kingdom Hall.

• VM44
    VM44

Berta L. Peale's Newspaper Obituary
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/79006/1.ashx

I posted a few weeks ago in Farkel's thread, " Rutherford Exposed" that I would try to get Berta's obituary notice as published in the newspaper.

Well, it arrived in the mail today, and here it is:

PEALE, Berta L. Memorial service Monday 7:00 p.m. May 21. Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. 1608 Pacific Ave.

That's is all. No mention of any husband, childern or other surviving relatives. No mention of any occupation, or life achievement, just that a memorial service will be held at a Kingdom Hall!

Depressing.

--VM44

References:

1) Farkel's thread, "Rutherford Exposed: The Story of Berta and Bonnie", http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/77915/1.ashx

2) Obituary Notice: Berta L. Peale, Long Beach Independent, Tues May 15, 1973, Page C-13 Col. 2

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have wonderful news!

After checking it out on a hunch, it appears that indeed Simon's new site has the original uncorrupted Farkel thread in all its glory! And it is live and linkable:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/77915/1/Rutherford-Exposed-The-Story-of-Berta-and-Bonnie

This means that when the new site is activated, we all can return to Farkel's original thread and post our queries and findings where it belongs! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit