Jehovah's Witness British Branch - All Time Peak!

by slimboyfat 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    SBF - are you hoping for an increase?

No not really. But I do find it interesting that Jehovah's Witnesses still manage to grow despite everything - despite the generation change in 1995, despite 1914 having no historical support, despite the fact most other churches are decreasing rapidly, despite all the apostate information available on the Internet, despite the embarrassing history, despite their doctrines looking increasingly untenable such as the weird excuses for why the anointed are not decreasing as expected. Despite all that, and well into the twenty first century, Jehovah's Witnesses still have small net increases even in the most secular countries. This was not meant to happen! Apostate responses to the stubborn failure of the Witnesses to stop growing are interesting too. The Internet is going to mean the end for the Watchtower they say. Any time now, just you watch and see. (where did we hear that before?) But it never happened. Most people have been online for years now - so let's face it, the expected exodus due to the Internet never happened. The other route is to question the figures or say it's 'only because of immigrants' (should immigrants not count or something? plus on a worldwide basis surely it evens out - unless they are importing aliens from outer space) or all the hours are fake anyway. (as if fake hours are a recent invention). On a personal level I would not recommend becoming a Witness to anyone because I think their ideology is not merely without support but also, from my point of view, it stunts a person's potential, and hinders healthy engagement with society. And if I thought it would do any good there are a fair number of Witnesses I would like to try and convince that being a Witness is not enhancing their lives. But as a phenomenon I find the continued growth of Jehovah's Witnesses as a whole interesting. And I can't see much point being in denial about the fact that though we sometimes may wish the contrary, Jehovah's Witnesses are still growing.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I used to love threads like this one and would always post a reply, pointing out that since we know the field service numbers are phony, why would we believe any of the other numbers?

But I have stopped worrying about it.

As I grow more aware of the world around me I notice there are people out there who will believe anything. And they do not appear to be in short supply.

• Gill
    Gill

The WT targets vulnerable groups such as the immigrant population and the UK has seen a rapid rise in eastern european immigrants.

I believe that assemblys this summer they had large sections cordoned off for the Polish new JWs with help with language and a rapid rise in Polish Witnesses has been seen in our area.

It seems that these vulnerable groups cannot help but be drawn to the love bombing given out by the Witness callers and the language barrier is a reason why they cannot see through the conditional love the Watchtower dishes out.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Well they have nee called on The Jookbeard household for years!

• aniron
    aniron

The questions is were is any increase coming from?

I asked my non-JW daughter who lives with her JW mother to see if she can find how many were baptised in the congregation.

She called me yesterday saying her mother said it was 5 in the past year, all the children of JWs. She reckons that they have not had anyone from the "outside" , a person called on and had a study etc, for about 3-4 years.

I'm still waiting to find out what the number is for this all time peak.

Nearly for got to mention, the congregation is now smaller than when I left 7 years ago.

• wobble
    wobble

It seems as though many of the new ones are immigrant in the UK,often drawn as a social thing,or are born-in ones.

In both cases it is difficult to open their eyes,as they often do not know what they are supposed to believe in,they just believe it is the truth.

So I agree that no huge exodus is about to happen,but the lack of real substance in the up-coming generation will make it a much weaker religion.

Love

Wobble

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Slimboyfat,

Jehovah's Witnesses are growing because their behavioral modification and carrot-on-a-stick teachings work.

You could go through the entire "Bible Teach" book and not know anything about the "faithful and discreet slave class" or its identity - for the simple reason, this teaching, the most important teaching that gives the whole structure its support, is not in there.

Hook, line and sinker.

Simple.

As long as there are people to believe in something.

• dozy
    dozy

Jws are growing because of their active evangelical efforts - given over a billion hours of ministry they are almost certain to produce an annual increase (albeit a small one).

While I agree that the checkable history of Jws is dodgy , religions with even nuttier doctrines & history who actively proselytise (eg Mormons) are also growing. I was speaking to some Scientologists recently - they were signing up people left , right & centre (despite a whole crowd of protestors).

Not everybody checks the background or history of a religion. Even if they do , some people go for it - for a variety of reasons. Heck - we all did.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

There doesn't appear to be a figure anywhere in this thread . . .
    So what is this peak? I'm so out of touch I've no idea what the UK figure is.

As has been said - only the average publisher figure is worth bothering about as a true representation of the number of JWs.

So does anyone have these figures?

Following on from Besty, unless they've changed it since I left over 9 years ago the British Isles figure (I'm sure that's what the WT says) is actually England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland which is part of the UK/GB/British Isles is actually lumped in with The Republic of Ireland's figures as they both report to he Dublin Branch Office.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit