Elders....what sort of training do they get...how are they selected

by insearchoftruth 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yknot
    yknot

What I am amazed about then, seeing there is no real training at all, is when my wife's parents were having problems, she wanted them to be counseled by their elders....what good would that do other than making their issues most likely gossip in the congregation?

Are they at least required to follow a confidentiality oath with respect to goings on in peoples private affairs?

All they would have done for her parents is pointed out scripture and suggested a study leading to conversion..... For those already JWs it usually more FS, better attendence and if need be a study to re-energize the person..... Marriage counseling for the longest time was forbidden and is only now somewhat acceptable depending on BOE opinions. Confidentiality only exsists when the Legal Department instructs Elders directly. Some Elders are better keeping quiet then others......

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Elder's receive training from the WTBTS for training.

No background check is done!

There are many very perverted elders who are in power over committee meetings!

Drinking is okay and getting drunk is okay as long as no one see them.

Yes, they are to abide by confidentiality rule during personal committee meetings, but so far 100 percent of the elders on my elders meetings had broken this rule.

Here a good example, when I was trying to get reinstated their was this sick elder, Getsfreed. He had a problem of looking down sisters' blouses at the Kingdom Hall. One time, he turned around as I was sitting down waiting for the meeting to start, he turned and stared at my bust for a very long time! it was so bad that a near by pioneer told him to turn around. I did not feel that I could say anything considering he was one of the elders and on my committee meeting. Another elder told me that every one has problems and they are trying to help him.

How would you like to have him on YOUR elders committee!

Prior, to my reinstatement Getsfreed and Chuck Martini during one of my elders meetings said they did not need to know why I got disfellowshipped and only the original elders would need to know that information. They asked me not to talk about it.

After I was reinstated, Chuck Martini confessed on the phone that he had to find out why I was disfellowshipped 25 some years ago! He claimed he was trying to help me out.

There YOUR confidentiality and this group was mild compared to the other elders I had at different Kingdom Halls!

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

How are they selected?

(i) that all-important column on the monthly report slip entitled "Hours".

AND

(ii) being a member of the congregation's Inner Clique.

Been there, done that!

Jack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit