Did you ever do "rooming" work before a convention?

by crazycate 14 Replies latest jw friends

• crazycate
    crazycate

Truthseeker's topic on the recommended lodging list, and some of the experiences people have had, made me remember the rooming work we did before a convention that was held in our city many years ago. We actually went door to door asking people if they had rooms they would be willing to let visiting witnesses stay in. I don't remember anyone telling me, "Yes," but I know there were people who signed up rooms. We were supposed to make sure the lodging would be suitable, but considering who some of the witnesses were who were looking at these homes, I would be very nervous about signing up for that pig in a poke.

Cate

• Emma
    Emma

I did; in the Detroit area and in our small community in Pennsylvania. I liked it better than the d2d work.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Yes! I can't belive I did that, going to peoples doors and asking that strangers come and stay at their house, give me a break.

• undercover
    undercover

I remember doing that a couple of years when I was young and we lived in the convention city.

Was the world that different back then that you could ask total strangers to put up other strangers for a week??

Can you imagine going to peoples homes today and asking if they would let strangers stay at their home for 3 or 4 days?? Would you want your out-of-town friends staying with someone whom you didn't really know or could trust??

• blondie
    blondie

Cheetos, I have to agree with your assessment. But things were different back then. I found it more difficult that presenting publications.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Blondie, I like the name you got and the picture too, I always liked "Blondie" songs like the Tide Is High besides she was a hottie.

• crazycate
    crazycate

Cheetos and Blondie: It was weird, but we did it. I think it must have been in the early 70s, before I graduated and was a pioneer. Perhaps I did as part of my "vacation pioneering." I cannot IMAGINE going to people now and requesting such a thing. I think I must have been...

Crazycate

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I did it one time - about 1970. Didn't get anybody - but it was an interesting experience. On two occasions during a convention I stayed in a home that had been secured from the rooming work. One of them was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, (1961) and the couple was real nice. They kept saying, "Bring you friends." We ended up with about 16 people staying there and only one bathroom to share. I guess the people really needed the money. It was something like $4.00 per night per person. The other time was in Ontario. I was with my parents (about 1960), and the people didn't even change the sheets on the bed before we came. My parents were pretty disgusted, but I viewed it as a test.

• VM44
    VM44

What about the liability issues?

I am surprised that The Watchtower would allow itself to be open to potential lawsuits.

• oompa
    oompa

thanks for nuttin crazy!....that was one repressed memory i hoped would never surface........oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit