Jehovah's Witnesses basic beliefs

by disneycuty 13 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR
    DO any of you still believe that Jehovah is God or any still don't believe in Hell, or Trinity, or The Cross?

Jehovah is God? Yep!

Hell? the Biblical hell, yes, not the roasting and toasting hell of the nominal systems.

Trinity? So many different views, even the trinitarians have problems with it. But no, I don't subscribe to the Trinity doctrine, although my vioew are different from the Society's as to the natire of Father and Son.

Cross? Does it matter? I mean the roamns were pagan, of course it was a pagan symbol. It matters not how Jesus died, but WHY he died.

• philo
    philo

Call me picky, but, the nature of God and of an afterlife? these doctrines are not JW fundamentals. You could chop God and his afterlife right out of the recipe and still have JWs, except they would be 'J'Ws, but do the same to their notions of organisational service and the de facto authority of the GB... and what would be left?

How many JWs care whether or not there is a hot hell? How many non-JWs who hear their preaching? The idea no longer rattles the imagination or 'worldly' churches' collection boxes, at least not much now. JWs tend to look inwards and are not as motivated by the possibilty of reducing the armageddon death toll from say 99.99% to 99.98% at best, they have their own salvation first to consider (and their families' etc). In the days of 'the judge' 'Jehovah' may have been a shining advertising icon, distinguishing a people and inspiring it's troops. Not any more. It is just a WORD with dubious historical validity, emphasised by mere repetition, imbued with values of orderliness and corporate procedure - a dub word - mantra and pacifier.

And I pray to Jehovah constantly

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Definitely believe in God and now also the deity of Christ. I don't believe in religion. Have not and will not join another church or religious group, however, I would like eventually to attend one with Open Communion and for fellowship. I've have had it with wearing my religion on my sleeve and having doctrine shoved down my throat. I will be very picky indeed. I truly think it will be a life long pursuit for truth. There are many people who have developed a very strong faith in God just by reading the Bible diligently and never attending a Bible study class. Now why is that pray tell?

The Cross? Yes. I bought myself a beautiful diamond cross as a "coming out" gift (Tee Hee). I had to toss the one I had when I went into the WT prison. Still researching "Hell". Have you read "Refuting Jehovah's Witnesses" by Randall Watters? It's available at the www.freeminds.org website I'm sure.

I am having trouble as to who to address in my prayers. I'm uncomfortable now addressing God as Jehovah but, of course, it's still habit. I think that will straighten itself out eventually as I develop a relationship with Christ instead. In the meantime, I know He understands.

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• larc
    larc

Hi there,

I is interesting that all the core beliefs of the JWs have no effect at all on a person's daily life: God's name, the Trinity, the soul, the nature of punishment. None of these affect your life. Think about it.

It is the other beliefs that really get you: no education, no blood, no celebrations, no planning for the future, no outside hobbies or outlets. Now this concoction really messes you up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit