Is a "thing" worth a human life?????

by Sunnygal41 15 Replies latest social current

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down

By COLLEEN LONG, Associated Press Writer - 13 mins ago

NEW YORK – A worker was killed in the crush Friday after a throng of shoppers eager for post- Thanksgiving bargains burst through the doors at a suburban Wal-Mart , authorities said.

At least four other people were injured, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island was closed.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc . in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back."

Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m. The man's name was not released and the cause of death was not immediately known.

A police statement said shortly after the store's 5 a.m. opening time, shoppers "physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground."

A metal portion of the door was crumpled like an accordion.

Shoppers around the country lined up early outside stores in the annual bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday . Many stores open early and stay open late, and some of the most dramatic bargains are available in limited quantities.

Among the bargains offered by Wal-Mart for Friday were Samsung 50 -inch high definition Plasma TVs for less than $800.

Witnesses told the Daily News that before the store was closed, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the worker's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead," said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation, and she and the unborn baby were both reported to be OK, said Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau County police spokesman . Four or five other people suffered minor injuries, he said.

Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman at National Retail Federation , said the group knew of no other incident where a retail employee has died working on the day after Thanksgiving .

Wal-Mart is working closely with police, company spokesman Dan Fogleman said.

"The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," Fogleman said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this difficult time."

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Just makes you say "who are we?"

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

That is absolutely appalling. No, nothing at Walmart or any where else for that matter is worth a life. My kids are kind of bored today, but we are just hanging out because of all the nuts out there. My neighbor has two sons that work in retail and had to be at work this morning at 4am and we all told them to be careful out there because you know crazy things like this are going to happen today.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I saw this on CNN, disgusting.

This will wind up being the fault of Wal-Mart, none to the actual people that trampled him.

I remember a friend telling me that worked down in LA after Hurricane Katrina. Only certain people could shop at Wal-Mart (emergency, construction, etc) and were let in a certain number at a time.

Since getting a good deal is such an emergency for holiday shoppers, maybe that is the way they need to be treated.

purps

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Six, i don't get it.............honestly. where are people's minds??????

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Six, i don't get it.............honestly. where are people's minds??????

in their pocketbooks,

purps

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Witnesses told the Daily News that before the store was closed, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the worker's life.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Main Entry:
    crime against humanity
    : atrocity (as extermination or enslavement) that is directed especially against an entire population or part of a population on specious grounds and without regard to individual guilt or responsibility even on such grounds
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

deleted, wrong information, sorry

purps

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

That's messed up! And part of the reason why I don't shop on the friday after TG. Besides, at 4AM, usually, I prefer to sleep! I am sick now, so I have yet another reason to hole in to the house and be cozy and SAFE. I have read of similar (if not so bad) things happening before.

Incidentally, you know that this will be a topic of FS tomorrow to condemn Christmas, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit