Anyone ever get panicky when they 1st started missing a lot of meetings?

by cognac 29 Replies latest jw friends

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

It was so drilled in all of us our entire life that really bad things are going to happen if we start missing meetings, that doesn't go away over night. Since I had kids, meetings were very arduous for me. Babies, little kids and teens thrive on a schedule and it was hard to have one when you are out until 9 or 10 two nights a week and running around to meetings service all weekend. Once I started questioning doctrine, I felt more panicked actually sitting there. I think it will be easier when your baby comes and you will see the value in being home with him in evening and just having fun on the weekend.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Missing them was easy. Getting started going again was nerve wracking. It was very easy for me to get into a "spiritually weak rut" and miss meetings. I never liked them nor was I addicted to them until I got angry at myself enough for missing them and not taking the "truth" seriously enough. Then, I got addicted and severely disappointed and quit.

• blondie
    blondie

I didn't feel panicky. And we stopped quite abruptly. We had call waiting and just refused to answer any phone calls for some time. We also started doing other things in that time, volunteering in the community, going to movies, taking evening classes, meeting new people. Classes were good because they have a similar structure but in this case the subject is one you are truly interested in and is productive besides meeting new people.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I pancked once when I almost missed the memorial on purpose. Just couldn't do it. It was just too serious to miss.

• blondie
    blondie

White Dove, I just had my own ceremony at home. That way I was not rejecting God or Jesus, just the WTS.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I didn't panic about doing something wrong. However, I did have to pace myself so I wouldn't get any calls from Brother Hounder--making two meetings instead of three per week at first, switching from one congregation to the other, and cutting out another meeting. It also helped to not follow a pattern that was popular (like skipping the book study all the time). I shuffled the boasting sessions I was going to skip, so I might make the Tuesday boasting session and skip the Sunday one, and make the book study only to skip the next one.

Eventually, I just quit altogether. It was more a matter of wasting their time and worry so they would have less energy to deal with other issues that were more pressing. Ultimately, it was about getting my Ouija board home without Brother Hounder seeing it.

• DocBob
    DocBob

Not really panicky. By the time I stepped down from being an elder and actually sat and listened to the meetings instead of being involved in presenting them, I realized just how boring and lacking in spirit they really were. It didn't take long before going felt worse than not going.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Anyone ever get panicky when they 1st started missing a lot of meetings?

No, I felt relief.

Josie

• hotspur
    hotspur

I wouldn't like to describe as panic.... I did feel uneasy though for a while.

It's the realisation that were I was their 'captive' that woke me from me uneasy state. Then it was easy, no fear of anything. They can only make you feel like that if you offer to them any form of control. Once you realise they don't control you anymore it's a doddle!

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I had a newborn and used him as an excuse, then winter as an excuse, then just not feeling well...then just not going. My husband freaked out...cried that I wouldnt be with him in paradise. I said, then I guess we lie to people when we tell them we dont know who will be in paradise because only Jehovah knows what is in a persons heart...and you have already condemned me? But you LEFT Jehovah! he would counter. I said...No...I havent left Jehovah, Ive left a building full of hypocrites who claim to follow Him. And who are YOU to tell me what Jehovah thinks or what I feel?

And then...after a year of not going. Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit