Bribing the children to serve--by request!

by Atlantis 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Bribing the children to serve--by request! Request from researcher: Is it true that children in the early years of the Watchtower Society, were bribed into the field ministry work to make a profit to have money to spend? If this is true, would you know where I could find that information? It just sounds to me like bribery! I would appreciate any help! Thanks, Linda! ************************************************** My comments: Thank you for your request! Yes, in the early years of the Watchtower Society, a financial "bribe" was arranged for child-colporteurs to keep 1/2 the profit from what they sold from the field ministry work. This was arranged in 1889 during the Old-Theology-Quarterly-Tract campaigns. Believe it or not, even today, Jehovah's Witness children receive "bribes" to influence them to serve in the ministry work! The Watchtower Society knew very well, that many children did not want to go out in field service work. Or, that some children would do this work for a short period of time to please mom or dad, but they would lose their interest unless there was something in it for them personally. So, to influence children to continue in the field ministry work even though they disliked the activity, money was offered as a "bribe" to change the minds of the child-colporteurs. Dictionary:

bribe

n.

1. Something, such as money or a favor, offered or given to a person in a position of trust to influence that person's views or conduct.
    2. Something serving to influence or persuade.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/bribe Please note this quote from the 1889 Watchtower, August, p.1133 (Reprint) "Furthermore, while your own children might gladly, for a while, engage in this service from interest in you and a desire to serve God, it will be necessary for others to have a money interest in the service; and this will help give stability and continuity to the efforts of the interested children also. Therefore, the Tract Society proposes the following special arrangement with all Child-Colporteurs. They will be supplied 50 tracts for 25 cents (Nos. 1 and 2 assorted or separate as desired) ; and thus even at the small price of one cent each, the children will have half their receipts for profit--for spending in whatever way they please."
  • BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow... thanks Atlantis. How bizarre.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

In my teen years I wised up, at that time the WT and Awake was for 10 cents but I sold them for 25 cents each, The Truth Book was supposed to be for 25 cents each but I sold them for $1.00 each and the bibles I would get as much as I could for them. By doing this I was able to have some nice suites and Converse shoes for school.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

BabaYaga:

Cheetos:

Thank you for your comments!

Nevada!-

• snowbird
    snowbird

Atlantis, you are a veritable storehouse of information.

Cheetos, back in the day, I should have thought like you.

At least I would have something tangible for all my hard work.

Sylvia

• nsrn
    nsrn

My folks bought the literature, but let me keep the money for any that I "placed". Still not a sweet enough bribe to make me like it.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Snowbird:

Thank you!

Nevada!-

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Nsrn:

Thank you!

Nevada!-

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

So Brother Sharp's mum bribed him. 🤔

https://www.jw.org/en/library/series/life-stories-jehovahs-witnesses/dayrell-sharp/

(If Dayrell's mum also bribed him to sell literature, I'm sure it was omitted)

I was never bribed, no need to. With the mid week study of the 'Babylon The Great' book (the first time) and with the revelation type hailstones coming at any moment, the hard proclamation of Jehovah's day of vengeance at hand; that is hearing guilt trip speeches week after week on sell, preach, and sell some more, fresh in my mind. That's all that was needed for me to sell the literature before any manifestations of the wrath of God showed up and not bellyache about it.

But, I always had to turn in the money to Mum. I did get rewarded a couple times though if I sold a good number of magazines on a Saturday. Afterwards we'd go to the Farmer's market and I'd get to buy a car model.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Atlantis You're incredible! What a find, I had no idea!

I'm also with Was a New Boy.By the time the 60s, 70s and 80s rolled around, the watchtower had honed it's cult indoctrination tactics to a fine degree. Kids basically suffered from Stockholm syndrome - over identifying with those keeping their young minds captive and so terrified of the consequences of not cooperating, bribery was not required!

Ha! New Boy he admits he was bribed lol! I think the way watchtower 'gives up' on some countries ..can you imagine the apostles doing so?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit