should jws buy christmas stamps?

by badboy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I remember the reasoning on this being that they didn't really choose the stamp, so it was really a matter of conscience. I only remember one witness ever freaking out when she got a stamp with an American flag on it. Even other JWs thought she was a nutcase.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

According the the Larranagas of the Watchtower in Albuquerque, no. Hell, I got chewed out for wearing Brittania running shoes because of the Union Jack logo. Christmas anything is taboo.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Technically, there is nothing wrong with using holiday or flag stamps. If I mail a letter with a holiday or flag stamp, it is supposed to be viewed as a means to get the letter mailed. Nothing worse than using a dollar bill with icons on it that are patriotic to donate to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. (I notice on the $1 bill George Washington's picture--idolatry, "In God We Trust"--so-called false religion, a pyramid with the eye on the left--supposedly a good luck charm, and the eagle on the right that symbolizes the United States of America. And yet they accept those in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.)

However, as with so many other things, they use the "stumbling" card here. If I mail a letter using a holiday or flag stamp, someone could count that as "stumbling others". They also like to make additional rules that would classify it as celebrating that holiday or honoring that flag, that originate in that congregation. Of course, they don't take into account that the holiday or flag stamps could have been purchased by hitting the wrong button or because that's all they had at the time, and they had to get a bill mailed quickly.

• badboy
    badboy

BTTTT

• blondie
    blondie

It only shows what a Talmud the WTS has. Also, that "rules" vary from congregation to congregation. I can remember in one city in one congregation that mustaches were outlawed for elders and MS. A neighboring congregation had no problems with that. So 2 MS and 2 elders switched to that congregation and were reappointed. That created bad will between those 2 congregations for over 20 years until finally the first one started allowing mustaches.

Blondie

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I remember buying stamps in the winter when I was a JW and making a point of choosing the ones that were "winter themed" to be "safe" with snowmen, snow flakes and skiers and the like on them LOL!

People are starving and this is an issue to JWs??

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

oh the humanity. can you imagine god choosing to smite you on judgment day for licking a flag stamp? a friend of mine used to say that god was a bastard. but that would take the cake. course the witnesses say "he that is faithful in little is faithful also in much". on the scale of what's really effed up about this world, that the JWs want to take no active responsibility for, gawd would really have to be a bastard to be soooo insecure about his universal sovereignty issues to the degree that stamp buying becomes a matter of "conscience". the jw rules&regs about paganism etc often remind me of the very religious system that jesus originally apostatized from for having people "washing up to their elbows".

• chickpea
    chickpea
    People are starving and this is an issue to JWs??

kind of sums it up

what a hysterical batch these cultists are

• nsrn
    nsrn

Wow, I hadn't thought of this for so long! As a kid, I was sent to buy stamps often with specific instructions to avoid holiday or patriotic themes, but winter snowmen, flowers, etc. were okay. I never questioned it.

Then as a young adult, out, I found it a guilty fun to buy them and use them, especially to send to witnesses!

I'm too past that now. A stamp is a stamp. Dad is even using flag stamps, because that's what the mailman sells him (convenience service as Dad is housebound).

Hello, all. I haven't posted in a long time. Read when I can. Carry on!

Nancy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit