Phobias, Taboos, and Perversion

by jgnat 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

All three - phobias, taboos, and perversions - exist in society. Phobias, certainly, are created by an anger/aggression response in a particular zone in our brain. It triggers powerful hormone production such as adrenaline, to get us ready for fight-or-flight. Once we've developed a phobia, we are hard-wired to run from it. Now, some fears are justified. It pays to run - quickly - from a hungry sabre-tooth tiger. It seems, though, as our society becomes safer, our phobias become sillier. It's as if our fight-or-flight response is begging for some usefulness.

Now, I think some religions, especially over-controlling religions, set up phobias in order to control their congregations. I think the Watchtower society for instance, has set up phobias around Christmas and other social gatherings, associating informally with non-JW's, and sex. Why would the society do that? Well, in the phobia against "worldly" social gatherings, it pays to isolate and control the congregation member so they are not exposed to very many contrary ideas. You keep them longer. Fear is a highly motivating force, and can paralyse a person to inaction for a lifetime.

Taboos are interesting. All societies have them. I think people are similarly hard-wired to create them. In his book, "The Language Instinct", Stephen Pinker implies that our hunter-gatherer forebears use this taboo response in order to avoid poisonous plants, for instance. Parent teaches child, "You may eat this, do not eat that." Taboos kept us safe. Again, as we get farther and farther from our hunter-gatherer origins, taboos make less and less sense. And the taboos get sillier and sillier. My daughter has formed a family taboo against aspartame, convinced it kills people by cancer. There are religious groups with taboos against pork, chocolate, and alcohol.

What is the harm in taboo? I think an imposed taboo also gives rise to cravings for what we cannot have, and associated bingeing. I speak from experience, being in the middle of a strict diet regime. Who knew food could overwhelm my daily thoughts? Something that should be natural, say, savoring a piece of chocolate, becomes a perverted obsession. It's no longer a bit of chocolate to be savored, it's a mountain to be devoured!

Hence extreme behavior, and even violence, as the craving is obsessively satisifed.

So how does this relate to the Witness experience? I watch my hubby struggle every Christmas season. Who he should associate with. What he should avoid. The more he obsesses about it, the more extreme he gets in his thoughts. Events that regular people would view as harmless, he begins to see as being literal threats to his spiritual health and well-being. How do we break a friend out of such a destructive cycle? Cognitive-behavioral therapy suggests we first make the person aware of the cycle of anxiety and avoidance, then help them come to terms that the cycle, rather than the object to be avoided, is harmful, and finally, teach them to consciously break out of the cycle.

It's not easy to overcome, that is to be sure. I welcome your thoughts.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Great post, that is exactly why I do not diet. The minute I decide to diet, I binge. Never fails! As for breaking someone out of a self-destructive cycle, I think it's a difficult task, especially when it falls under the guise of "spiritual well-being". I feel for anyone in your situation and will openly admit I would find it very difficult to live in such a scenario. Walking on eggshells in my own home, with my life partner, would be a prison of the mind and soul.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

As a child raised in the organization, I would become apprehensive and depressive every year when October rolled around. First Halloween, Bonfire night, Christmas, New Year, Valentines day and lastly Easter to navigate. Why did it all have to be packed into six months?! Tongue Out 5

I would feel wracked with guilt when a schoolfriend gave me a Christmas card. I felt sick going to school pretty much the whole of December. I was so good at covering it though. I could get on the platform and sing the sweetest tune of "No, we don't miss out on anything, my parents can give me presents any time of the year". Sick

I think I'd better stop now...anger is taking a hold.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks for your replies. You're living it, and recovering. Bravo. Can you think of other WT prohibitions and taboos that messed you up?

What got me thinking along this line also was an anecdote that Jews have no alcoholics. At least they have much fewer than the general population. Why? Because alcohol is not forbidden. I grew up with a Mormon friend who developed an allergy to chocolate. Why? Too many chocolate bars indulged in behind the barn.

And a final thought, Weight Watchers teaches us to control our cravings. Acknowlege them, feed them in a controlled manner (faithfully recording the "points" in our system) and move on. There must be something to the method, to remove the guilt and the obsession from the object of desire.

Who said anything about eggshells? Hubby gets as good as he dishes out.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Are Mormons not allowed to eat chocolate?

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Jgnat, this thread reminds me of trying to raise my children in the truth. Some people were so critical of me that I let my kids have squirt guns or play cops and robbers. I noticed that if don't allow them to realize these desires in the safety of their backyard when they are seven years old that it will manifest itself somewhere anyway, maybe in a not so safe environment. We repressed kids so much about holidays, birthdays, dating, music, education etc. that when they finally break away they just go hog wild and don't make very discriminating choices (kind of like me eating brownie mix out of the bowl after a restrictive diet). Thankfully my kids are learning to make their own choices about these issues while in my care as a safety net if needed. Thank you for articulating it so well.

• happy1975
    happy1975

Wow, great post. Nicely said. Off the top of my head I can remember riding in the car with a witness family when I was around 12 (I too, was raised a JW) and using the word "lucky". A huge taboo akin to a non JW saying f*ck or something. I was so ashamed. I guess that sums up my entire JW experience - SHAME. Shameful thoughts, desires....it's basically never ending. It's really freeing to not feel shame anymore.

Thanks for getting me thinking.

Happy

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

the whole NON DATING issue in the WTS...........most of the kids I knew were two faced about that. Dating was only for marriage, etc and any kind of kissing, petting, etc. was a HUGE taboo..........well, guess what? We did it anyways, and in my case, like the proverbial Catholic school girl raised by nuns, felt I was going to experience God's wrath and judgement at any moment.........I would be found out and turned in......on the flip side: my bf has two nieces, non witnesses, and they are both on birth control and sexually active, and don't seem to have any sexual hang ups..........and, probably won't make the mistake of marrying young just so they can have sex within the bounds of marriage.............they are being allowed to experience the opposite sex and what they do and don't like so they can make healthy choices.

• BurnTheShips
  • jgnat
    jgnat

SHAME and GUILT. It’s part of the whole cycle, isn’t it? Thanks for fleshing out the picture for me. I see you also mention as taboo …squirt guns…cops and robbers…dating…music…education…swearing….lucky.

It reminds me of the time someone said they were studying with a Witness and they claimed they had a doctor in their congregation. I was skeptical, and wondered aloud of the doctor was a convert. I just can't imagine a Witness household allowing, let alone supporting, a child to get through medical school. Then there's the whole problem of reconciling the Watchtower teachings after receiving education in deductive reasoning. It is reprehensible, in my opinion, for the society to cut off an entire generation of Witness youth from following their dreams, because the society is afraid of losing them to the "world". Why not clean up their own house, so that they are a welcoming organization that attracts their youth?

Good point also about all the hangups around dating. I have a Muslim friend who along with her husband, keep an eagle eye on their teenage daughter. In their family, losing her virginity would be a disaster. I watch them and I think they set their daughters up for a whole lot of denial, sneaking around, shame, guilt...for what? Normal desires?

JG: Are Mormons not allowed to eat chocolate?

According to the link I provided, not. But I knew a former Mormon growing up, and he definitely was not allowed. I have a Mormon neighbour, and she turned down tea. It's the caffiene, you see.

BTS: …magic mushrooms…

OK... tenuous connection with OCD there...I think I'll stick with the cognitive therapy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit