The Whole World Has Gone After Him

by snowbird 57 Replies latest social current

• snowbird
    snowbird

A lot of those campaign promises may not appear.

Nine words of sanity, Homerovah.

Sylvia

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think there is a delicious double meaning in the headline: "the whole world has gone after him". Is this a prediction of the end of the world?

We are in for some very rocky times in the next few years I reckon. Whether there is a "world" at the end of it, or whether it will merely be radically different to what we have been used to up until now remains to be seen.

But I definitely believe Obama has been unfortunate in his timing. Roosevelt in the 1930s timed his entry almost perfectlly to coincide with the nadir of the Great Depression. At the moment the worst is definitely yet to come, and no matter about roots causes and suchlike Obama is sure to get the blame no matter what he does. And that's assuming he does not in fact make the situation worse.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Obama is sure to get the blame no matter what he does. And that's assuming he does not in fact make the situation worse.

I respectfully disagree.

In this technologically marvellous age, there is no way blame for anything can be pinned on Obama that is not Obama's doing.

In fact, I think McCain's reluctance to embrace the Information Age was his main setback.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Roosevelt in the 1930s timed his entry almost perfectlly to coincide with the nadir of the Great Depression.

Roosevelt's domestic actions made the Depression worse and more lengthy. No recession in US history prior to that one had lasted more than 26 months.

BTS

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Fox News manages to blame Bill Clinton for September 11th for goodness sake. He was out of office over six months. I even heard Clinton being blamed for this year's financial crisis and he's been out of office 8 years. (actually I think he should bear his part of the blame, but not in the simplistic way the right-wing would have you believe - however Bush had eight years to try and avoid it so he must take the most blame)

Plus I really fear there is little governments can do to mitigate the slump we are about to enter. Even the pretension on Obama's part that there is much he can do may be interpreted as a failure.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Ah yes, the blame game. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think somehow this is going to work out a little differently for Obama.

We shall stay tuned.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Another thing: I heard (heard, mind you) that SS agents stand guard outside the President's bedroom.

Say it ain't so, somebody, please!

Sylvia

• inkling
    inkling
    Why the worldwide fascination with this man?

Becuase he is the anti-christ?

[inkling]

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Roosevelt's domestic actions made the Depression worse and more lengthy.

Ahhh bologna, you've been listening to too much Rush Limburger.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I don't listen to Rush. And I study economics during my free time. I am going to start in the Spring at U.

Using unemployment as a proxy, here is the unemployment rate of the period:

1929: 3.2
    1930: 8.7
    1931: 15.9
    1932: 23.6
    1933: 24.9
    1934: 21.7
    1935: 20.1
    1936: 16.9
    1937: 14.3
    1938: 19.0
    1939: 17.2
    1940: 14.6

WWII put an end to the Depression, not the New Deal.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit