What is the reason that the WTS uses for not celebrating Thanksgiving

by insearchoftruth 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Well I overheard my wife last night on the phone telling someone she does not celebrate thanksgiving, I have asked her in the past why and she gave the stock answer about how holidays are rooted in paganism. Well from what I know, there is nothing pagan about the thanksgiving celebration, what is the official reason that is given for not celebrating this?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The real reason is that it's fun and it brings families together. The Watchtower doesn't like either of those things.

• oompa
    oompa

ya...they find it difficult to get together as a family since half of them are disfellowshipped and they cant speak or look at them.....but actually i seem to remember something about how since we are thankful to god everyday for everything then there is no need for this holiday...plus i thing there was smoking involved...the peacepipe thingy......oompa

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

When in doubt, the JW can pull out the Catch-All excuse: "We are no part of the world."

Thanksgiving is a worldy holiday.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I am awaiting a reply from her........guess if she doesn't want to celebrate Thanksgiving, we can just eat Turkey and the fixings while watching football games then.......how pathetic.

• justhuman
    justhuman

I don't know this celebration since I'm Greek, but anyway I can tell you why: Is because somebody else is celebrating it, so it must have been under Satan's direction.I guess this is the reason..plus WT in order to show that they are different from the rest of the world they demonize everything that they do not celebrate. Simply us and them,and black and white cult mentality. In the same way they do not celebrate Mothers day(I don't know if you have that in US) A simple expression of love for the mother who is the source of life and love. Nothing wrong with it, but still WT found that is the Devil behind this celebration..................

Oh boy JW's must live in a crap world

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Yep, US has mothers day....and even with the commandment to honor thy father and mother......

If she gives me an answer, I will be sure to post, any other insight I would appreciate!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

All worldly holidays are pagan and that's all there is to it.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Turkeys are Pagan......

• blondie
    blondie

It is considered an issue of neutrality, a national holiday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit