Muslim misconceptions?

by John Doe 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully
    have any of you actually seen first hand the abuses of Islam you speak of

Anyone who has seen a woman in a burqa or wearing a hijab has.

But since you asked, I have tried to work with women who have been brought to North America, whose only language is Arabic, and whose husbands do not permit them to learn the local language. If these women could understand English, they might see that there are other options than to stay with a man who speaks to them in Arabic only and says things to her that make her weep bitterly.

Oh, and there is the time when a Muslim man, dressed in his cultural garb, saw me walking down the street with my children and called me a whore because I had the nerve to be wearing a dress that showed my arms and legs, and because I wasn't wearing a head covering. I have to wonder if he came over here from whatever repressive $h!thole he couldn't wait to leave, thrilled to be in a free society because it gives him a politically correct license to practice his misogyny and live off the taxes I pay while doing it.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Scully,

do you have reason to believe that is the norm?

As far as burkas, recall that in this country until relatively recently it was considered immodest for women to wear jeans and dresses had to be at least ankle length. I'm really not seeing the distinction.

• mustang
    mustang
    Here's a question, have any of you actually seen first hand the abuses of Islam you speak of or been to a Muslim country, or are you basing your beliefs on news media coverage?
    Ever been in a Muslim country? I have.

Posted above? Feel free to read the 4 th post in the thread, in which you will note that I read THEIR MEDIA, IN THEIR COUNTRY. I've got more...

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang

I have no reason to doubt the reports of robberies, murder, rape and political corruption as I saw it in their newspaper. People do not make these things up. A few were elaborated on, but most were short blurbs, obviously taken from Police blotters. If you are not familiar with newspapers, they serve to record local events that are matters of PUBLIC RECORD. Newspapers thus amplify and reinforce that public record.

I hasten to add that the reporting was the general, neutral and objective reporting expected of professional journalists.

Newspapers also have space to cover where the paying ads are not. There is no reason to doubt or impugn the integrity of any newspaper in this regard, save perhaps the yellow journalism rags and supermarket tabloids dealing with rock stars and aliens. I was reading the largest mainstream newspaper of that country.

For someone with "no dog in the fight" you sure are defensive and testy about it; careful, your dis-objectivity is showing

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang

I've been in a Mosque and was well received. I must say that I was asked to remove my shoes, before proceeding. I returned the courtesy. Again, this was in a foreign country.

Mustang

• John Doe
    John Doe
    For someone with "no dog in the fight" you sure are defensive and testy about it; careful, your dis-obejectivity is showing

I have no reason to support Muslims. In fact, I find all religion silly and contrary to a reasonsed view of the world. I'm merely trying to tease out the perspectives I see and determine just what creates double standards. And I do think there are double standards, in every culture.

• Scully
    Scully
    do you have reason to believe that is the norm?

If what I mentioned was an isolated incident, I would say No, but since it is not an isolated incident in my place of employment (the women who cannot communicate in any language other than Arabic because their husbands prefer to keep them isolated from western society in particular), then until I see that change, I will have to say that it is the norm.

As far as burkas, recall that in this country until relatively recently it was considered immodest for women to wear jeans and dresses had to be at least ankle length. I'm really not seeing the distinction.

Surely as an atheist you know that the "ancient" custom for North American women to wear dresses if they wanted to be thought of as "ladies" stems from the religious dogma that requires that women not wear the garments of a man and vice versa. And if you're taking the position that Islam is simply taking its time "adjusting" to current values that allow women to wear whatever they wish, it doesn't seem to me that they're holding on so much to the ancient ways where men's playthings are concerned, otherwise they'd abstain from using automatic and/or nuclear weapons, cars, trucks, airplanes and electricity.

If that way of doing things is good enough for the Amish, it's good enough for Muslims.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Surely as an atheist you know that the "ancient" custom for North American women to wear dresses if they wanted to be thought of as "ladies" stems from the religious dogma that requires that women not wear the garments of a man and vice versa.

Got a quote for that? I was under the impression that it stemmed from the time when thighs were thought to be part of the reproductive system, and any indication that a woman had legs was seen as perverse. . .

• mustang
    mustang

Consider the URL:

http://www.submission.org/women/mis.html

Notice the first sentence on the page:

There are widespread erroneous misconception about the status of women in Islam (Submission.)

Further along, another sentence declares:

In this presentation we will try to clarify the position of the true Islam (Submission) on the status of women.

Notice the emphasis on SUBMISSION. There is little doubt where this Philosophy is heading.

The question is: will this Philosophy run amuck, driven by radical adherents? or will it coexist, as Americans have been culturally taught to do? How will its adherents handle INTEGRATION, the requirement of another Philosophy?

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang

How many on this thread have checked out the Muslim Singles site that is ad-stalking us

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit