Muslim misconceptions?

by John Doe 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully
    When Christianity disallowed divorce, evidently Muslim women had the choice to divorce and remarry with no negative stigma.

And yet, it's just the opposite now. How progressive, especially when under Sharia Law as it is currently enforced, a girl can be found guilty of "adultery" if she is a victim of a rape and can be punished by her own family by being gang raped for the "shame" she has brought on them before being stoned to death as an adulteress. No stigma there.

• mustang
    mustang

Pretty succinct summary, Scully.

It occurs to me that most Muslims don't know their Islamic studies very well: they just take a shouting mullahs word for it.

Mustang

• Mary
    Mary
    JohnDoe said: I recently read an article by a practicing muslim professor at my university. She casts a different light on the faith. She held that muslims are more liberal than the western world in many regards. When Christianity disallowed divorce, evidently Muslim women had the choice to divorce and remarry with no negative stigma.

Ya....and if you believe that, I've got two twin towers in New York City to sell you. In a divorce, the husband gets full custody of the kids, the woman does not. How many Muslim women have been beated or killed because they were raped and have brought "shame" on their family. WTF kind of bizarre thinking is that? I strongly recommend reading Not Without My Daughter, which was written long before 9-11 and gives a first hand count as to how terrible women are treated under Islamic Law.

• Scully
    Scully
    I recently read an article by a practicing muslim professor at my university. She casts a different light on the faith. She held that muslims are more liberal than the western world in many regards. When Christianity disallowed divorce, evidently Muslim women had the choice to divorce and remarry with no negative stigma. This was one of many things in which she portrayed the Muslim world as more progressive. I don't have a dog in this fight, being atheist, but her article did call to question the negative stereotyping that goes on, and cast a hypocritical light on the Christian world.

Well, Johnny, I think we *do* have a dog in the fight, because fundamental Islam would love nothing better than to take away basic human rights and freedoms where ever it casts its shadow. Everyone has a stake in that.

In addition, I think that as exJWs, every single one of us is painfully aware of the bait-and-switch tactics of cults and cult-type groups. Exposure of this dishonest behaviour should be a priority.

• Mary
    Mary

Zo Zizter Zcully.......Ven vud u lak to go zhopink vis me do bye a Burka? I zink u unt eye vud make goot lettle zub-mizziv vives do zum zhauvan-estic uzz-hole en Pag-e-ztan.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

LMAO @ Mary!

nj

• Scully
    Scully
    Zo Zizter Zcully.......Ven vud u lak to go zhopink vis me do bye a Burka? I zink u unt eye vud make goot lettle zub-mizziv vives do zum zhauvan-estic uzz-hole en Pag-e-ztan.

Zizter Mary... vot ah zuupurrb eye-deea you het zere!!

Eye zink alzo ve could vurk togezzerr und find a vay to konquerr ziss schtupidity of zchauvan-estic muzlim mensches. Butttt ve vould hef to marry ze zame uzz-hole en Pag-e-ztan to do ziss. Zen ve vould kuch for heem zome delizious halal pork (I found zuch a zing - zee internetz are a mirakle!) roast unt ven he vas schleepink ve could change our namez to Lorena and soon ve vould be vidows! Ve change ze vurldt und remove zchauvan-est uzz-holez vun at a time!!

Vy ze vimminz in Pag-e-ztan dodn't zink of ziss, eye vill never unterztandt.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Here's a question, have any of you actually seen first hand the abuses of Islam you speak of or been to a Muslim country, or are you basing your beliefs on news media coverage? I'm reminded of how in WWII the Japanese played films of the three stooges and told their people that the stooges were typical American serviceman. They also said Americans eat their babies, and other nonsense.

• Open mind
    Open mind

This white, western woman has traveled in the Middle East for years without getting raped or killed (yet). She did get robbed though.

http://girlsoloinarabia.typepad.com//girl_solo_in_arabia/2006/01/about_this_site.html

When I first saw the blog title: Girl Solo In Arabia, I thought she must be insane. (She might be, but it's a very interesting site IMO).

One blurb I can remember from her travels was that she was allowed to be an "honorary man" in one town and so could sit down in a restaurant and eat with the men in spite of her lack of male plumbing.

I haven't read enough of her site to see what she actually thinks of Islam.

It's an interesting perspective though, IMO.

om

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I'm reminded of how in WWII the Japanese played films of the three stooges and told their people that the stooges were typical American serviceman. They also said Americans eat their babies, and other nonsense.

This reminds me of once talking to a Black American WWII vet about his experiences. One in particular stands out.

He said some White American soldiers would tell French children that the Black soldiers had tails.

He recalled how the children would run behind their regiment as it marched through a town to check for themselves if they had tails!

What misery and misinformation we humans can inflict on each other.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit