"Mom, why would He do such a thing?"

by Esmeralda 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Tonight, as my husband was driving our daughter home from ballet lessons, she spoke up quietly from her booster seat in the rear of the car.

"Justin?"

"Yes, Leah?"

"My Dad told me that you're supposed to love Jehovah even more than you love your family."

"Oh, he did?"

"Yeah." her voice got even smaller than should be possible for one of only six years (this month) and she added, "That has to mean that he loves Jehovah even more than me."

"You tell Mommy about that when we get home, okay sweetheart?" he said, shaking his head with disgust. He knew that it would take both of us to tackle this development.

So that is just what she did.

She came into the room, head hanging, her little dark ponytail swinging in a little pouf on top. Usually she bounces in from dance lit from the inside. Tonight, she looked like her flame had been doused with a firehose.

"Mom, Dad told me that you're supposed to love Jehovah even more than your family."

"Oh? Is that so?"

"Yeah." her chin started to quiver. "That means he loves Him even more than me." she started to cry. I scooped her up and pulled her into my lap and said,

"Leah, do you think that God made parents to love anyone more than their own children? Does that make sense to you?"

"No, I don't get it. You should love your kids most."

"Well, that's what I believe too. I know that Dad thinks he's right to believe the way that he does. That he is following what God wants. But I believe that whatever God is, that it made me the way that I am, and that loving you the most is what "he" expects of me more than anything else. And I do, and nothing can change that. Now, go upstairs and get clothes and get ready for your shower."

I talked to my husband for a few minutes while she did her stuff, hearing about what happened in the car, and when I met her upstairs in the bathroom, she said "Mom, Know what I did while you were downstairs? I prayed to Jehovah."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I said to Him, "You know, Jehovah, I love you and I think everything you do is great, except this one thing. Why would you do such a thing?" (those are her words, verbatim. She sounded way too grown up :(

"Such a thing as what?"

"Tell parents to love him more than their children. Dad said that if I pray to Jehovah, He'll always help me. Maybe He'll change his mind."

"Remember, Dad doesn't know everything, and you know that I don't believe in the same thing he does so..."

"Dad says that you do what Satan wants." she inturrupted, truly troubled by the idea.

My stomach clenched. Damn him anyway. I reminded her that Dad doesn't know what I believe about God and so she shouldn't pay attention to all that. That I don't do anything on Satan's behalf, and that Dad has no business judging what I do.

Then I got down on my knees (and those of you who know me know what a monumental task that is, not to mention getting back up!) and held her by the shoulders and said;

"Sometimes, God uses people to answer prayers, Leah. So I'm telling you this, which is probably the only answer you're going to get. No matter what Dad does, Justin and I love you, just as you are, and there is no one in the Universe that we love as much as you. And I am always going to be there for you, no matter what happens. Count on it. No matter what Dad does."

It's so sad to know that already my daughter is finding out the limits to her father's "love". At least I am grateful that she will have a soft place to fall, back on my husband and I, when she realizes how "loving" JW standards really are.

~Esmeralda
    (still lurking about)

• Mulan
    Mulan

What a jerk. Truly disgusting. If he is talking against you like that, and saying you do what Satan wants, can't you get a gag order on him, so he doesn't talk against you? I know someone who did just that, and she got him TOTALLY cut off from their daughter, the judge was so pissed off at him.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Essie please email me at [email protected]

I want to ask you something hon

Love
    MD

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Thanks for the response, Mulan I know I can always count on you for encouragement when my the idiot (aka my ex) gets the better of me! *hug*

I have thought about that, I discussed it with my lawyer awhile back and he said that it's a tough thing to prove. I am filing all this stuff away though. I'm very lucky that my kid is so smart, though because she said to me later this evening "Mom, I wish I was here with you all the time. I don't want to be like Dad, I want my life to be like yours when I grow up."

One day at a time...one day at a time...ugh I need to go meditate or something!

*hugs* love ya!
    Essie

• siegswife
    siegswife

That's one of the most horrible things I've ever heard! I'm so sorry that your little girl has to be exposed to that abuse! I'm glad that she has you in her life to give her a sense of balance. It's a damned shame that those people can be so hateful and blind. He probably has no clue about the effect his words have on her. What a jerk!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Sorry, kid. I've heard that before, and it's not any easier to hear this time.

My sympathies.

ashi

• Mulan
    Mulan

The woman I know, who did this, has a daughter who is 11, and they believed her. It is probably her age. She asked to not have to go see him anymore. He called his ex, "Satan with curly hair", in front of their daughter. He now has to have visits with a paid court-appointed supervisor, only. He is so cheap, he declined. It is $40 an hour for the supervisor.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Essie,

That's horrible. I didn't realise as a JW how we emotionally had to distance ourselves from people in case they messed up we could just ditch them you know. Or refuse treatment to be loyal to God. It's really sick when you think about it. It's this kind of training and 'brainwashing' that allowed my sis to turn us in, and not speak with us. Breaks your heart eh?? poor lil girl what a blow that must have been!!! (((HUGS ESSIES DAUGHTER)))

ahhaha Mulan that's not anyone I know is it??? hahhahaa

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• Kristen
    Kristen
    It's so sad to know that already my daughter is finding out the limits to her father's "love". At least I am grateful that she will have a soft place to fall, back on my husband and I, when she realizes how "loving" JW standards really are.

Es,
    A difficult situation to be in, and sad that similiar stories play out in many other JW/xJW families. I feel bad for the children.

Your daughter is very fortunate to have you and Justin in her life. What you do now will matter very much to her when she gets older. What a comfort it must be to her to know that nothing comes between her and the love you have for her. A soft place indeed.

(((HUGS))),
    Kristen

• avengers
    avengers

Typical WT propaganda, What they are actually saying is that you have to love the WT doctrines more than anything, even family!
    They only use the so called God's name "Jehovah" to set more power to their doctrines; to keep people in the "Truth".
    This is not freedom but mental terrorism. So watch out for the watchtower.

"Few are they that look through their own eyes and feel with their own heart"
    A Einstein

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit