Deaf Mute Disfellowshippings

by Celtic 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Si
    Si

As with any small-group situation the deaf are no exception. Very few of the interpreters are of professional standard, as they mostly learn their skills within the group where all sorts of disagreements abound, especially if the proficient interpreter is female....as is often the case. A huge amount of harm is done where elders with egos extending beyond the bounds of ability, try to render control in ways which are not suitable or justifiable in relation to people with special needs. Unfortunately, the people themselves are not consulted, as they are 'uninformed' and in need of 'help'.....which is often the death of them. The insular attitude of many elders/brothers pertaining to minority cultures and the acquisition of specialized knowledge ensures the continuation of misjudjment and ineffective interaction. Some of these groups survive within their own bubble of discontent; while supportive of each other,they are always on the fringes of the mainstream. Sometimes the human cost is high.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Excellent point Si.

Given those stated observations, what of legal protection through the law of human rights to individuals with special needs when facing a kangaroo court such as those put in place by the elders of the WT operating on instruction from above?

More importantly, what assistance is there for their special needs upon leaving?

Could there be any assistance offered to such ones?

peace

Mark
    hug trees

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Celtic I am a little confused by your question/ Do you mean what assistance from the elders who disfellowshipped them or from the congregation or from those os us who have left?

As we know the borg will shun them - totally - they will get the same non-response from any JW who knows of the dissing. Basically they are left the same as any person dissed from the JWs - nothing - no support, no family, and no friends and even fewer resourses on the outside than the rest of us have

BTW I was an interpreter in the congregation for 11 years. When I left I worked at the deaf school for a while. I certainly felt the double whammy of having been a JW and having the rest of the school avoid me and then being dissed and having everyone avoid me - not a great feeling for me so it must have been even harder for the deaf

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

My mother was an interpreter for quite a long time. Most Deaf congregations tend to be in areas with large Deaf populations in general, and most of those populations have good networking in place for support reasons, so I imagine the transition might actually be somewhat easier in that respect. At least around here, Deaf Witnesses tend to have more interaction with the outside. They won't get financial assistance from the congregation any longer, but at least they'll still have people with whom they can interact -- an advantage many ex-Witnesses don't have. But I imagine it differs widely based on area, culture, and the like.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If I recall from an earlier thread, this relates to one of the hand-written notes that was to be written in the Flock Book.

Basically, it states that after announcing the name of the person being disfellowshipped, the elder will look at the person, hold out his right hand, extend the middle finger and raise the hand three times.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit