How I was appointed C.O.

by BonaFide 18 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

If you have never served out of this country or spent any time preaching in another country, you may have certain ideas of how a C.O. behaves and talks and acts. What is the youngest C.O. you have ever seen? In the country I served in, it was 23. I was 26 when I was trained, and I was 28 when I started full-time C.O.work.

I arrived in my assignment in 1989. I lived in a missionary home, I had to put in 140 hours per month. Lots of experiences. I came back to the U.S. and gave talks and slides and stuff each year. After two years, I was trained as a substitute C.O. It was two weeks of training, one week I observed the C.O., the next week he observed me. That was it, then I got a letter of appointment from the branch as a sub, but I didnt sub at all. But less than a year later, I was called to the branch, and they told me to get ready, in three weeks I was to start permanent circuit work. I realized my dream. They said I had to wait for an official letter from the Governing Body, since they appoint all circuit overseers, so for now I was a sub. About four months later I got a letter from New York.

They also give the C.O. a binder filled with letters. If the previous C.O. is not up to date with his binder, you can get the letters from the branch. The letters are supposed to stay with the circuit. They are all the letters to the C.O.'s from 1973 on. So I read all those letters.

I had no car at first, so I rode the bus. I felt great, even though developing countries are pretty difficult to live in. I had to stay with the friends, all cold showers, and sometimes just a cot and curtains to separate you from the family. Or I slept on a cot in the Kingdom Hall. I loved it though. I really felt I was doing great, I read about missionaries and C.O's in the WT and wow, I was one now. After two years I got a car. Cheap, auction car from the States. Nice car for that country though.

What else can I say? I wasnt the best C.O., but I wasnt the worst. You would be surprised at some of them. I tried hard, I didnt get into trouble, yes some other C.O.'s did. I tried to be a cool C.O. though.

But one of the ways the branch judges you is how good your recommendations for elder and servant are. A lot of people don't realize that the local branch appoints elders and servants, not Brooklyn. I averaged about two or three rejections a year. That means I along with the body of elders recommend someone, and the branch rejects it. The branch said that is a good percentage, and that I had pretty good judgment. Also, when the Zone overseer visits, they have a one-hour meeting at the branch with a District Overseer, a Circuit Overseer, and a member of the Branch Committee. Twice they invited me to do that, probably because I speak English. But that was a great privilege. I was not the youngest C.O. either, some of the really tough areas had brothers even younger. Some had not even been appointed as elders before. They went straight from servant to C.O.

I taught pioneer schools, the first few times, it was fun. After that, we got a letter with a bunch of strict instructions, so it kinda took the fun out of it. I have the pictures of me teaching those pioneers schools, the group photo.

I acted humble, but I really felt important. I preached with the congregations even in the evenings, to show that we should be zealous. I tried to be fair in judicial committees. Here they seem way more merciful. In that country, any sin and you are disfellowshipped. Seems like that, anyway. I would consult the D.O., who was from Europe, he had a lot of wisdom, or so I thought.

One big mistake I made once was changing the C.O.report. The congregation report was in duplicate, and the recommendation report was in triplicate. So this one elder was pretty mean to the friends, and the branch said to maybe delete him. But when I served that congregation, he was the only elder. So I called in two other elders from another Hall. They didnt know him, so i made the call to delete him. I reconsidered that night and looked up more information, so I informed the D.O. He said we could revisit the matter the week of the assembly. So I didnt sent in the report to the branch. The next week was the assembly. We met with the D.O., and the elder was not recommended for deletion. We all signed it, and gave a copy to the elder to put in the congregation file.

A few months later I was called to the branch. About 45 minutes from the missionary home. They called me into a private room. They held up two reports, one recommending deletion, and one saying to give him another opportunity. I had left the third copy in the congregation files before I left that Sunday. Oh no. In the meantime that congregation had been reassigned to another circuit. So the next C.O. who took over that area saw two copies with dates six days apart, one recommending deletion, and one not. Looked like he had paid me off or threatened me or something. They also called the D.O. in to corroborate my story. He did. They told me it looks bad to change your mind, but I really felt it was Holy Spirit. Anyway, they laughed at the end of the discussion. They said I could have made worse mistakes.

Those memories feel strange now. I had one life here in the States, then another life as a missionary C.O.,then I came back and another life working again. Now even another life as someone who has learned what is really going on in the organization, and why things are the way they are.

I appreciate those who support me on this forum, my situation is not as bad as some, but it is hard sometimes.

And for those of you who don't believe me, go right ahead.

I don't need everyone's approval anymore.

BF

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Thanks for sharing your experience, BonaFide. As they used to say in the cigarette ads: "You've come a long way baby."

• yknot
    yknot

That is a lot of lives.........

I suggest this be your next life....

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

You can complete most of the basic online too! It is a good excuse to buy a scanner and download adobe from piratebay, PDF, OCR textbooks checked out from the Campus Library!

• Confucious
    Confucious

BF,

I love your experience.

I tell you... in a way I'm jealous.

I wanted to be a CO so bad.

And I honestly think I wanted that to really help others.

I'm sure, some was attracted to the so called fame of it.

But for me, I constantly wondered if I was "reaching out" for the fame of it. Or if I really cared.

I really think I cared.

But I think that if I would have become a CO - I think that I would have never really discovered the real truth.

Con

• halcyon
    halcyon

just from my "women's intuition" and judging from the demeanor of most of the C.O.s I've met in the fifteen years before I left, I would think that the C.O.s are closer to knowing the "truth" about the org than most ... they just don't have anything to break away TO.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Which country were you in? What made you leave?

• Roski
    Roski

I've seen similar CO's in underdeveloped countries. Judging everything by the standards in the US would be a mistake.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Hi BonaFide

What an interesting story.

I served as an elder in a developing country and certainly understand where you are coming from. Many of our local congregations had one or no elders and things were very different. Some weeks, I conducted just about every meeting and often on a Sunday gave the public talk in two different congregations. Besides this I had my family to care for living in a strange country and I also had a very demanding secular job.

I am sure the brothers in the west do not begin to understand how difficult life can be in other parts of the world.

I came back to the west, and sat in one elders' meeting where they discussed what soap to buy for the wash-room. I remember thinking just these guys just don't get what Christianity should be all about.

Eyeslice

• roybatty
    roybatty

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. Just reinforces my belief - which developed when I served as a young elder - that the WT is just a big business.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Its funny how that works in other countries isn't it!

I knew a guy growing up that was super super arrogant. He had some issues with homosexuality but kept them pretty well hidden. He was on the 'fast track' in NY he pioneered went to bethel he wanted to be a CO and NOT for good reasons. I think in his mind it was akin to being a lord or something. He was told no single brothers are made CO in the US. (I don't know if that's true but that's what he told us) so he married a woman at bethel that he treated like crap had sex with her once to consummate then publicly stated he wouldn't be having sex with her again until they were ready to have kids.

He left bethel when he got married and tried to do the Gilead thing but it turned out that he was even too much of a prick for the borg. He never got an assignment they just kind of left him sitting in a hall so he took it upon HIMSELF to say he had been appointed and was going to Guam or some such shithole 'on assignment.' His wife got 'sick' and came back but as near as I can figure he ingratiated himself with the local branch and they are using him over there. Good riddance I say. His hottie of a wife is now back here and he was such a dick I wouldn't even WANT him to be an apostate!

Just funny how the borg really works isn't it!

(not implying that your anything like that just sort of agreeing that sometimes the way we think is 'right' is just our frame of reference!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit