Christian Science Monitor gives up printing paper - will the WT follow?

by slimboyfat 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inkling
    inkling

so..

I thought the publishers didn't pay for the lit, but turned in donations they recieved for it in the door to door work.

but..

Then, if the donations don't cover the expenses for the lit, the congregation pays for it.

With the publishers money.

In the end, the publishers ALWAYS pay for it, minus whatever they got door-to-door, which was very little as I recall.

[inkling]

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Besides, if the WTS went non-print, what the heck would all the dubs push from door to door?

Single leaf tracts, like is becoming the trend.

• inkling
    inkling
    Single leaf tracts, like is becoming the trend.

It's funny, I remember speculating that the reason literature was getting
    more and more brief was the increasingly limited attention span of the poor
    sad worldly people.

It never occurred to me that maybe the reason people couldn't get through an
    whole article was because they possessed a working gag reflex.

[inkling]

• sir82
    sir82

Keep in mind that the CSM is (1) a newspaper and (2) mostly read in the USA.

The Watchtower is a religious magazine primarily used in door to door "witnessing" work, and less than 20% of the world's JWs are in the USA.

There are large chunks of South America, Asia, & Africa where internet access is not even a shadow of what it is in North America & Europe.

The print editions of the magazines, at least for field service, will continue for a long time.

What I can see is online distribution of PDF versions of study WT editions and Kingdom Ministries, available for download by local congregation elders in developed countries. Those elders would then be expected to use congregation funds to print off hardcopies for their congregation members.

• blondie
    blondie
    Of course publishers don't pay for the magazines any more.
    Who does then?

It is all an unseen donation. Few jws even ask non-jws for donations and they aren't supposed to tie it into payment for the publications. This is one reason the WTS has such a problem with cash flow. Since 1990 many jws were on the "donation" arrangement and in 2000 it became worldwide.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'm surprised they haven't already switched to electronic format. Considering the relatively short shelf life of "current truth" they could easily set electronic publications to expire and become unreadable after a given amount of time.

W

• blondie
    blondie

One thing to remember is that the magazines and books are sent to congregations based on orders placed by individual jws. The only thing that is sent unrequested that I know of are the KMs and tracts. So the jws that donate to the congregation pay for the jws that do not donate but ordered publications.

I remember hearing of a brother who got up the nerve to ask for a donation from a man who had taken a publication. Man: So the donation is to pay for the publication? JW: No it is for the worldwide work. Man: So you ask for donations when someone doesn't take a magazine or book?...........................................................

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit