Christian Science Monitor gives up printing paper - will the WT follow?

by slimboyfat 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

From next year the Christian Science Monitor will publish only via the Internet. Other newspapers look set to follow.

The Christian Science Monitor is a different sort of publication to the Watchtower now I know, but given the history it's interesting to ponder if the Watchtower magazine will be relegated to an online version only too at some stage. Print media in general, already suffering due to the rise of news on the Internet, may be entering the final stretch as the global slump adds cost pressures.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/business/media/29paper.html?_r=1&bl&ex=1225425600&en=63df0ce22e52f090&ei=5087%0A&oref=slogin

• kwr
    kwr

That would be interesting to see, publishers with wireless notebooks knocking on doors and providing electronic bookmarks via a USB download. HAHA

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

As long as the 'publisher' has to pay for the mags when they pick them up, and then any donations get turned in as well, the society will continue to distribute magazines/tracts.....fs is something to keep people busy rather than associating with other non-jw folks

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Of course publishers don't pay for the magazines any more.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Each congregation will eventually be asked to consider switching to electronic download for the kool-aid WT. Then someone - likely an eager to please brother hoping for appointment at the next CO visit - will be assigned to print the magazine out for the congregation. This will, of course, go on to save the WTS millions.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I've been out for 20 years, so what exactly is the protocol? I thought the publishers didn't pay for the lit, but turned in donations they recieved for it in the door to door work. Then, if the donations don't cover the expenses for the lit, the congregation pays for it. Is this correct?

• booby
    booby

they are already making it clear that their are costs incurred at their download site, so they will still convince the dubs to provide an income stream even without the printed version. They can then burn and place a cd version with the public. The ability to generate cash flow with printed material becomes more and more of a challenge. They will not have to print out the literature because what ever technology (i-pods) or whatever is\are required will be purchased by the rank and file when instructed to do so. In the past for example many did not purchase dvd players, either because members did not feel they could afford, or want that in their homes, but as soon as the society started producing dvd's they all got the dvd players.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I think that the society will go back to making people pay when they pick up the magazines again before they discontinue it altogether! Something like having the servant figure up the cost and say "now sister buttbag that would be a contribution of XXX dollars" he doesn't need to TAKE the money from her just tell her what's expected with the box sitting right there. I would think that would result in a large amount of people putting what the suggest amount is in the box!

Of course I've often thought that the best way to bankrupt these SOB's would be to order lots of literature and never contribute a dime! Or if everyone contributed bad money orders so that they got stuck with tons of returned check fees or something!

• inkling
    inkling
    Of course publishers don't pay for the magazines any more.

Who does then?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

You can hardly compare the Christian Science Monitor with the Watchtower. On one hand you have a well-respected periodical that discusses newsworthy events and latest research and on the other hand you have the cultish religious propaganda rag we all know. Besides, if the WTS went non-print, what the heck would all the dubs push from door to door?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit