Why is it smoking considered a sin?

by heyfea 25 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I thought it was going to be a joke.

Like, "Why is it smoking is considered a sin?"

"I dunno, why?"

"'Cause God doesn't like it when people put butts in their mouths!"

A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa! That's a real knee slapper.

• reniaa
    reniaa

I wonder how many witnesses are alive by virtue of having to give up smoking it's the second biggest killer?

erm which do I prefer an org that says 'well smoking isn't in the bible so it's ok'

or one that has the strength to say....

'looking at the principles of the bible we can see this is something bad for us that God would also condemn'

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Ah. What is the biggest killer?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    I wonder how many witnesses are alive by virtue of having to give up smoking it's the second biggest killer?

I agree that smoking is extremely unhealthy.....but if it is a decision of life or death...what about blood????????????

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Things get a little crazy doesn't when ignorant uneducated men start instituting social morals off of 2000 yr. old cultures.

The JWS have tossed their heath and the sanctity of life itself out of the window when they didn't take vaccinations ,

organ transplants or blood transfusions.

If that is the case why isn't belonging to an organization like that not a sin in anyway, it should be.

• iceguy
    iceguy

I think Cigarettes are really bad for you...but I do enjoy a cigar every now and then.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The WTS has always considered smoking tobacco to be a sin...many others do as well, as a lad growing up, smoking was always presented to me as "dirty habit" and one that I should not take up. It was tolerated within the ranks of the dubs, though. I can remember seeing one or two "weaker" brothers nipping outside the Kingdom Hall for a cigarette (Don't be confused if in England we call it a fag)

It was, I beleive in 1973 that it was turned into a disfellowshipping offence . As others have said, they took 2 Cor.7:1 as the reason and stretched the application to be a scriptural law forbidding it.

I could never see that The Bible really banned smoking tobacco, although that did not stop me sitting on several committees over the years and disfellowshipping smokers. i have always been one of those anti smoking people .

reniaa makes a point that I used to use in Public Talks , was it the one about "Respect for Authority is a Safeguard?", It has, no doubt, safeguarded them from tobacco related diseases. But to claim that the rule comes from The Bible is...IMHO stretching the scripture somewhat..

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ owns stock in Tobacco Giant,"Phillip Morris"..It`s in a trust fund..The Henrreta M.Riely Trust fund..Other stocks within the trust fund include,Harley Davidson,Johnson and Jonson,Micro Soft,just to name a few...............Maybe Phillip Morris will give the WBT$ it`s own brand of Cigarette`s,Jehovah`s Witness`s can smoke!....."Jehovah Nails Cigarette`s"!!..LOL!!...................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

So, it's really a conscience matter then and not something an organisation (word isn't in the bible, btw) would make a ruling on re. excommunication.

I wonder if the organisation (word isn't in the bible btw) would invest in tobacco/cigarette manufacturing companies while at the same time DFing their adherents for smoking or farming tobacco?

I like having faith in a God who isn't hypocritical.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

PasswordProtected..JW`s can be D/F for smoking..Thrown Out.....But..The WBT$ has no problem taking a Profit,from Tobacco Sales!..Smoking 2Smoking 4Smoking 4CoffinCoffinCoffin........................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit