Why is it smoking considered a sin?

by heyfea 25 Replies latest jw friends

• heyfea
    heyfea

Any biblical support? Please remember that there are a lot of things we consume which contaminate us, even in the everyday food we eat.

• Mandette
    Mandette

I don't remember what if any biblical support there was for this. I think that it fell under having respect for life, not being selfish, etc. They lumped it under whatever scripture that they could use to even remotely enforce it.

Mandette

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

It is considered a "defilement of the flesh."
    2 Corinthians 7:1

• sir82
    sir82
    Any biblical support?

Bwa-ha-ha-ha! As if that even mattered!

The reason is that (1) it is a "defilement of the flesh", and (2) it is considered "drug abuse", and the koine Greek word for "spiritism" is something like "pharmakeia", which (of course!) means that "drug abusers" are really inviting Satan to enter their lives.

Or something like that.

• heyfea
    heyfea

Then bottom line, will I be denied access to heaven IF I smoked?

• Mandette
    Mandette

If you become a JW you don't go to heaven. Not unless you're of the 144,000 annointed!!! Which is only mentioned in Revelation chapters 7 and 13.(I remembered it this time!)

Mandette

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well since we were chucked out of the garden in with the "WEEDS" I dont think we were meant to smoke em just pull em up ...

But all kidding aside it wont stop you going to heaven just makes you smell that you have been to HELL

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

they claim the root word for smoking in the original Greek has a meaning of sorcery.

They use the Cor verse on a defilement of the flesh- although the context of that verse is speaking false Gods as the defilements...not physical addictions

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty
    The reason is that (1) it is a "defilement of the flesh", and (2) it is considered "drug abuse", and the koine Greek word for "spiritism" is something like "pharmakeia", which (of course!) means that "drug abusers" are really inviting Satan to enter their lives.

Here is one if not many points of hypocrisy within this religion, Alcohol is just as dangerous and damaging to the flesh and mind as tobacco,

but we all know the value of alcohol thats been placed by the WTS. particularly so by the past presidents.

The term Spirits has been used for alcohol for a very long time........there's a thought

One of the reasons most JWS hold on to this vise and many are heavy drinkers is its the approved drug. and I have known many personally.

Some Christian based faiths do not allow either !

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Defilement of flesh, my eye. I can think of a lot of things the big food and drug companies are putting into our foods (and pills) that are an even worse defilement. There are so many of them that it would actually be easier to list all the things that are not a defilement to the flesh.

True, smoking is detrimental to one's health, a waste of money, and stupid. However, that does not make it wicked. One will pay the full price for smoking in terms of increased getting sick, aggravating health problems, the money you waste on smoking, and early death. To me, that is enough. One does not need to add breaking up families to the list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit