BLOOD FRACTIONS - what if all JWs knew they are a Matter of Conscience???

by insearchoftruth 14 Replies latest watchtower medical

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

If each and every JW were to accept fractions as a matter of conscience, how many of the senseless deaths could be prevented.

I have no idea on what is normally given to a person in a transfusion, but from some of the reading I have done, whole blood transfusions, which are strictly forbidden, are very rare. Really how dangerous is the current blood policy...IF ALL JEHOVAHS WITNESSES WERE MADE AWARE OF WHAT IS ACTUALLY ALLOWED AND ACCEPTED THE FRACTIONS ALLOWED?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Someone has to have some thoughts on this....bttt

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the WTS has published in 2000 and 2004 information saying that blood fractions are a conscience matter. The problem lies in that many jws have no idea what a blood fraction is; the old timers are flying on hold still from old information, and newer ones find it hard to understand the convoluted explanation and wording of the WTS. They don't even know the policy is that a jw takes blood tranfusion is da'ing themselves and not df'd. (unless you were an elder who heard the non-letter read to the BOE by the CO)

• Room 215
    Room 215

Apart from the fact that they're playing God with such hair-splitting over fractions that totally vitiates the meaning of ``abstain", it's appalling that the WT leaders haven't spelled out CLEARLY and in BOLD LETTERS what is and is not considered a matter of conscience to their guileless drones, and speaks volumes about their lack of concern over the welfare of their flock.

As has been pointed out, transfusions of whole blood are quite rare, and only in the case of traumatic blood loss. Actually, the verbal scuttlebut being passed along among elders is ``psst if anyone who takes blood grovels and apologizes, let the matter drop.'' Overall, it appears that the WT is in effect tiptoeing away from its once rigid policy without making a formal ``new light" change which would bury them under an avalanche of lawsuits.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I guess that is the question I am asking......the policy restricting any sort of transfusion is going to be dangerous to at least some folks, but does anyone here know or have any sources that reveal just what percent of transfusions are the kind that are still specifically restricted.

The splitting hairs is amazing. On one hand they tell the followers that blood must not be stored, but poured out on the ground, but then fractions, which are derived from stored blood are a matter of conscience...

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

from www.ajwrb.org

What is forbidden?

This is a complex question. As you may know the WTS still prohibits whole blood and certain blood components namely, red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma. But here is the key: they allow everything inside of these components to be used.

If you discount the membranes of the red cells, white cells and platelets, they are allowing somewhere between 97 and 98% of the blood. However, the membrane is stroma (protein/enzyme) and as a fraction it too would be permitted. So technically the WTS permits 100% of the blood in fractionated form.

Here is an analogy: It's like saying, "see that truck over there, it's stolen and you can't buy it but if someone dismantles it, it's not a truck anymore, it's truck parts and you can buy what you want. However, the engine, the transmission, the radio and the disc brakes are special. They are the 'primary' components of the truck (i.e. the red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma). You can't have these 'primary' components unless you first completely dismantle them. If you do that you can buy them too."

Just how accurate is this analogy? Consider this: Red blood cells are prohibited by the Watchtower Society. What is a red blood cell? Nothing more than a donut shaped miniature bag of hemoglobin. Broken down by dry weight, the red cell is 97% hemoglobin and 3% bag (membrane). To permit hemoglobin and ban red cells is the equivalent of saying to someone, "see those bags of groceries over there? You can take the food from the bags, but I will report you to the police if you actually take the groceries with the bags."

The Watchtower Society's blood policy has swiftly mutated into a deadly shell game. The policy aims to permit artificial blood (hemoglobin solutions like HemoPure and PolyHeme). While the leadership waits for the new blood products to hit the market, members continue to reject medically necessary transfusions of red cells and discontinue their chemotherapy treatments when platelet transfusions are needed even though platelets comprise less than 1/5 of 1% of blood volume. The average Jehovah's Witness has no realization of what is taking place.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I once read somewhere (perhaps, here) that one of the main purposes of the HLCs is to convince sick JWs to take "acceptable" fractions, so as to avoid death and thereby prevent negative publicity for Watchtower.

Frankly, however, many JWs are scared of any decision labeled as a "conscience matter", because their view of God is one of a tyrant, watching every move you make, to see if you'll screw up. Therefore, they consider rejecting ALL blood products the only safe route.

In other words, in their minds, a list of acceptable fractions doesn't really exist. Rather, what they believe is there is a list of fractions that the Society is NOT SURE about. The next logical step in this chain of thought is as follows: "If the Society cannot categorically tell me that hemoglobin (or another acceptable fraction) is OK with God, I'll steer clear of it, even if it means I may die. At least I'll get resurrected into a Paradise."

It's quite disgusting.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks leaving wt,

I guess MOC really has no meaning then. I know that one of the attractions subliminally to the WTS is the absolute views on things, there is no thought involved.....and in a situation given a MOC, there is thought required.....

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Question: is the ONLY way to get these fractions from stored blood? Meaning: there is NO OTHER WAY to get these fractions without taking them from stored blood. Correct? And articles from the WTB$ strictly forbid using stored blood, correct?

I just looked up an old kingdUm Ministry from November 06 (pg 3):

What

are bloodfractions, and why is theiruse a matter for each Christian to

decide?

Blood fractions are elements from blood that are extracted through a process called fractionation. For example, plasma, one of the four major components of blood, can be divided into the following substances: water, about 91 percent; proteins, such as albumins, globulins, and fibrinogen, about 7 percent; and other substances, such as nutrients, hormones, gases, vitamins, waste products, and electrolytes, about 1.5 percent.

Are fractions also covered by the command to abstain from blood? We cannot say. The Bible does not give specific direction on the subject of fractions. Of course, many fractions are derived from blood that has been donated for medical purposes. Each Christian should make a conscientious decision as to whether he or she will accept or will reject the medical use of these substances.

When making such decisions, consider the following questions: Am I aware that refusing all blood fractions means that I will not accept some medications, such as certain ones that fight viruses and diseases or that help blood to clot in order to stop bleeding? Could I explain to a physician why I reject or accept the use of certain blood fractions?

Why

are some procedures involving the medical use of my own blood a personal

decision?

Although Christians do not donate or store their own blood for transfusion purposes, some procedures or tests involving an individual’s blood are not so clearly in conflict with Bible principles. Therefore, each individual should make a conscientious decision as to whether to accept or to reject some types of medical procedures involving the use of his or her own blood.

When making such decisions, ask yourself the following questions: If some of my blood will be diverted outside my body and the flow might even be interrupted for a time, will my conscience allow me to view this blood as still part of me, thus not requiring that it be ‘poured out on the ground’? (Deut. 12:23, 24) Would my Bible-trained conscience be troubled if during a medical procedure some of my own blood was withdrawn, modified, and directed back into my body? Am I aware that refusing all medical procedures involving the use of my own blood means that I refuse treatments such as dialysis or the use of a heart-lung machine? Have I prayerfully considered this matter before making a decision?

What

aremypersonal

decisions?

Consider the two work sheets on the following pages. WorkSheet1 lists some of the fractions extracted from blood and how they are commonly used in medicine. Fill in your personal choice as to whether you will accept or will reject the use of each of these fractions. WorkSheet2 lists some common medical procedures involving your own blood. Fill in your personal choice as to whether you will accept or will reject these procedures. These work sheets are not legal documents, but you may use your answers on these work sheets to help you to complete your DPA (durable power of attorney) card.

Your decisions should be your own and should not be based on someone else’s conscience. Likewise, no one should criticize another Christian’s decisions. In these matters, “each one will carry his own load” of responsibility.—Gal. 6:4, 5.

[Footnotes]

Helpful information on this subject is found in the June 15, 2004, issue of TheWatchtower, pages 29-31.

Helpful information on this subject is found in the October 15, 2000, issue of TheWatchtower, pages 30-1, and the TransfusionAlternatives—DocumentarySeries—OnDVD.

[Chart

onpage

5]

Work

Sheet

UNACCEPTABLE

YOURPERSONAL

DECISION

TO

CHRISTIANS

WHOLE

Choices

You

BLOOD

FRACTIONSNeedto

Make

PLASMA

ALBUMIN—UPTO4%OF

PLASMA

A protein extracted from

plasma. Types of albumin

are found also in plants,

in foods such as milk and

eggs, and in the milk of

a nursing mother. Albumin

from blood is sometimes ………… I accept albumin

used in volume expanders or

to treat shock and severe ………… I refuse albumin

burns. These preparations

may contain up to

25 percent albumin. Minute

amounts are used in the

formulation of many other

medicines, including some

formulations of

erythropoietin (EPO).

IMMUNOGLOBULINS

—UPTO3%OFPLASMA

Protein fractions that may

be used in some medicines

that fight viruses and

diseases, such as ………… I accept

diphtheria, tetanus, viral immunoglobulins

hepatitis, and rabies. or

They may also be used to ………… I refuse

guard against some medical immunoglobulins

conditions that threaten

the life of a developing

baby and to counteract

the effects of snake

or spider venom.

CLOTTINGFACTORS

—LESSTHAN1%OFPLASMA

There are various

proteins that help blood

to clot in order to stop ………… I accept

bleeding. Some are given blood-derived

to patients who tend to clotting factors

bleed easily. They are or

also used in medical ………… I refuse

glues to seal wounds blood-derived

and to stop bleeding clotting factors

after surgery. One

combination of clotting

factors is known as

cryoprecipitate.

Note: Some clotting

factors are now made

from nonblood sources.

RED

CELLSHEMOGLOBIN—33%OFRED

CELLS

A protein that transports

oxygen throughout the body

and carbon dioxide to the ………… I accept

lungs. Products being hemoglobin

developed from human or or

animal hemoglobin could be ………… I refuse

used to treat patients with hemoglobin

acute anemia or massive

blood loss.

HEMIN—LESSTHAN

2%OFREDCELLS

An enzyme inhibitor

derived from hemoglobin

that is used to treat a ………… I accept hemin

group of rare genetic or

blood disorders (known ………… I refuse hemin

as porphyria) that affect

the digestive, nervous,

and circulatory systems.

WHITE

CELLSINTERFERONS—A

TINY

FRACTIONOFWHITECELLS

Proteins that fight

certain viral infections ………… I accept

and cancers. Most blood-derived

interferons are not interferons

derived from blood. or

Some are made from ………… I refuse

fractions of human blood-derived

white blood cells. interferons

PLATELETS

At present, no fractions

from platelets are being

isolated for direct use

in medical treatment.

[Chart

onpage

6]

WORK

SHEET

YOURPERSONALDECISION

PROCEDURES

*Note:

NAME

OFWHATITChoices

You

TREATMENTACCOMPLISHESNeedtoMake

(You might want to

speak to your

physician before

accepting or

refusing any of

these procedures.)

CELL

SALVAGEReducesblood

loss.

Blood is recovered

during surgery from ………… I accept

a wound or body cavity. ………… I might accept*

It is washed or filtered ………… I refuse

and then, perhaps in a

continuous process,

returned to the patient.

HEMODILUTION

Reducesblood

loss.

During surgery, blood is

diverted to bags and

replaced with a nonblood

volume expander. Thus ………… I accept

the blood remaining in ………… I might accept*

the patient during surgery ………… I refuse

is diluted, containing

fewer red blood cells.

During or at the end of

surgery, the diverted

blood is returned to the

patient.

HEART-LUNG

Maintains

circulation.

MACHINE

Blood is diverted to an

artificial heart-lung ………… I accept

machine where it is ………… I might accept*

oxygenated and directed ………… I refuse

back into the patient.

DIALYSIS

Functionsasan

organ.

In hemodialysis, blood

circulates through a ………… I accept

machine that filters and ………… I might accept*

cleans it before returning ………… I refuse

it to the patient.

EPIDURAL

BLOODStopsspinalfluid

leakage.

PATCH

A small amount of the

patient’s own blood is

injected into the ………… I accept

membrane surrounding the ………… I might accept*

spinal cord. It is used to ………… I refuse

seal a puncture site

that is leaking spinal

fluid.

PLASMAPHERESIS

Treats

illness.

Blood is withdrawn and

filtered to remove plasma.

A plasma substitute is

added, and the blood is

returned to the patient. ………… I accept

Some physicians may want ………… I might accept*

to use plasma from another ………… I refuse

person to replace that

from the patient’s blood.

If so, this option would

be unacceptable to a

Christian.

LABELING

ORDiagnosesortreats

illness.

TAGGING

Some blood is withdrawn,

mixed with medicine, and ………… I accept

returned to the patient. ………… I might accept*

The length of time one’s ………… I refuse

blood is outside the body

may vary.

PLATELET

GEL;Sealswounds,

reduces

AUTOLOGOUS

bleeding.

(MEANING

“MADE Some blood is withdrawn

FROM

YOUROWN and concentrated into

BLOOD”)

a solution rich in

platelets and white cells. ………… I accept

This solution is applied on ………… I might accept*

surgical sites or wounds. ………… I refuse

Note: In some formulations,

a clotting factor taken

from cow’s blood is used.

• TD
    TD
    Question: is the ONLY way to get these fractions from stored blood?

A few of the most common human proteins can be produced recombinantly, (Insulin, EPO, Factor VIII, etc.) but the majority of blood fractions administered medically come from stored blood.

Additionally the processes themselves that are involved in the production and administration of recombinant products involve blood fractions. For example, synthetic EPO is still administered in a solution containing human albumin as an adjuvant.

Also, even though recombinant products are available, they are not all as effective as the real thing. Recombinant Factor VIII is not an option for all hemophiliacs.

So if the JW stance on stored blood strikes you as hypocritical, it's for good reason

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit