Is the Bible the word of God?

by Number1Anarchist 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

This is a question that has racked my brain. How do we know it is from God?

We have heard this since we were born that the bible was the word of God!

If we were born in a non christian nation we would think there book was from God!

I just don't get it anymore.

Ok, so where is the proof?

Has anyone done any research on this?

The bible has some strange things in it. I don't get how he floods the world and is going to send fire bombs on our ass and then hear God is love when he scares the shit out of you,lol

I don't know, what do you think about this?

All opinions are wanted.

Thank You

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

The answer is........... Drum roll............. Nobody really knows.

There are arguments for and against but nothing conclusive.

It depends on you, what you want to believe. If you're looking for TRUTH then forget it you won't find any.

I'm comfortable with not knowing, living with uncertainty has it's own kind of peace.

• Slappy
    Slappy

Instead of looking at all the miracles (which we will never understand) and the 'seemingly' vindictive God (although, did he ever do something without reason?), look at the the prophecies concerning Jesus and how all the books (66) are connected with one another even though they were written (as far as we are aware) by 40 different authors over the course of 4,000 or so years.

For example, in Psalm 22:16 (which was written before crucifixion was even a thought and stoning was the capital punishment in use at the time) it mentions piercing hands and feet. Well, what happened to Jesus? Then look at Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12, this is the exact description of what Jesus endured, yet was written well before His time on earth. There are also many many other references to Him in the OT.

I know a lot of people have a very hard time with the OT. In fact, that is probably the main reason for most people not believing that the Bible is the Word of God. However, when you look at God's seemingly petty and vindictive attitude, was there ever a time when He acted in a way that clearly wasn't warranted? His children would misbehave, and He would discipline them for such. What parent wouldn't? I know I'm very thankful for all the time I got disciplined when I misbehaved, otherwise I'd be quite a bit more of an ass than I am now.

Some also argue that even if such actions were warranted, they were rather extreme and they don't really want a God like that, so they don't believe He exists and therefore discredit His Word. What I want to know is this: Should God conform to our image of Him, or should we conform to His? Where has sticking our head in the sand when we don't like/agree with something ever got us in our life here? It usually leaves our ass exposed to be kicked, does it not?

Then there's the 'problem' with all these amazing miracles occuring throughout the Bible. People try to explain them with science, and when they can't, they say the Bible is hogwash and full of fairy tales. However, they're only seeing what they want to see. What would be a much larger blow to the Bible being the Word of God is if science was able to replicate those miracles that occurred in the Bible. For that would mean that they really weren't miracles. But if we can't explain them, what's the big deal? If there really is a God, then would it not make sense that He can do things that are beyond our comprehension?

Many others like to say that the since the Bible timeline of the history of the earth doesn't agree with science, it's false. What I've never understood is how science claiming that the earth is billions of years old and the Bible saying it's only 6,000+ years old means anything. For it to mean anything, they'd have to make the assumption that when God brought the world into existence, everything was 'newborn', as it were. There are absolutely no grounds for making that assumption. The Bible's ambiguity about the beginning of time is quite possibly one of the main reasons for it still existing and believed upon today. Other 'religious' books and records have all proven to be false as we have understood how the universe works. For example, in Greek/Roman mythology, Apollo (the sun god) pulls the sun across the sky each day; or in other mythos, the sun actually is a god. Both of these (among many other 'explanations') have proven false and have been the downfall of such beliefs.

If we were born in a non christian nation we would think there book was from God!

Why else were we told to spread His Word? If everybody knew the Bible, there would be no need to do so.

An understanding of the character of God is quite possibly one of the most important things to have. Not that we completely understand who He is, but more that we have an understanding that He is God, and we are 'man'; and as such He is beyond our comprehension. A lot of people can't deal with this, and as such don't believe in God, and therefore the Bible. That is understandable, which is why faith is called for. I know a lot of people scoff at the idea of faith (call it gullible, among other things), but it is what it is.

Furthermore, for something that is full of fairy tales, the Bible has survived any and every attempt to eradicate or discredit it. Most other 'religious' books and ideas have long since faded into oblivion or our school textbooks. Yet the Bible has not. In fact, it is more or less outlawed from schools. Ever wondered why? If it was just mythology like many claim, why don't they teach it as such, alongside Greek mythology and the like?

The only way that you will accept the Bible as such is if you study it for yourself and let it speak for itself; it does that rather well IMO. You could look at external evidence as proof for or against the Bible, but since most evidence against the Bible has come from those who were already looking to prove it false, and most evidence for the Bible has come from those who were looking to validate it... Well, I'll let you decide. Regardless of what people say, there really is no one who is unbiased in their views and research of the Bible. That is why, I say again, that you are the only one who can decide for yourself. Unless, of course, you don't have a problem taking others' explanations for your own.

slappy

• yknot
    yknot

Well it says it is.........

Seriously this is where faith comes into play.

Believing and following is an option open to all mankind via Jesus.

I personally believe in Jesus, but acknowledge that man may have corrupted a scripture or two....

Ultimately it isn't about the outward show but the inward heart condition that Christ asks us to refine.

Love is a great starting point, even the Beatles agree!

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Free online book:
    Biblical Nonsense

Technically inaccurate, but still an entertaining look at some Biblical absurdities:
    Is It God's Word?

Good video on who wrote the Bible:
    Video

Dave

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Just something to think about....

Isreal is the name given to Jacob after his "wrestling" with the angel. (Not a physical fight, but a verbal confrontation. He was "struck on the thigh"...in other words...agreed to genetic experimentation; traveled the ladder which bridged heaven and earth (went up into the spaceship)

IS-RA-EL is an acronym derived from the names of three dieties...Isis, Ra, and El. It can't be proven or dis-proven, but based on the English word, it certainly looks like a trinity.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Good video PrimateDave

Human history has shown the Gods or the God have been seen and acknowledged as great power much than any mortal man could possibly acquire,

with mans intension and purpose to have that very power or to be connected to it is the driving force behind many religions.

Is the bible the word of God of course not , you might consider it an expose of mans past imagination and ignorance of himself and the world we live in.

The human ignorance factor is a reality whether people accept it or not.

Modern human knowledge dissolves are ignorance of the past and opens more doors to greater knowledge.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The only "proof" they have of the Bible's being God's Word is that the Bible itself says so. To me, that has about as much weight as God not being able to lie because He says so.

Absolutely no proof--both statements are blatant lies. It is possible (and easy) for God to lie--and He does with disgusting regularity by backing out on promises of every kind and even telling us about His love, where all evidence is that He is a malicious, wicked selfish Tyrant hellbent on sabotaging man's progress to enlightenment. And that itself proves that the Bible either is man's word or that it's God's attempt to keep man from being fulfilled.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The Bible is a heavily edited book, done mostly by the rich and powerful. Political motivations for what was written and edited out or redacted. ANd the WT's assumption that there were 40 writers need to be scraped, and the 1st 5 books of the bible being writen by Moses is a pipe dream. A Roman emperor desided in the 4th century which of the many books became part of the bible was highly motivated by politics not truth.

Who Wrote the Bible:

http://www.onlinedocumentaries4u.com/2008/06/who-wrote-bible-documentary.html

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Jeez I don;t know SLAPPY ,I'm a father and I never killed or wanted to kill my children even though they were little shits at times .......and he wants to kill billions in one swoop even after watching young and old die for thousands of years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit